Kickboxing!

Manhattan Travel Blog

Haha who would have thought one would ever find me in the kickboxing scene? Well, not many I assume, including myself. But, today I was! How could that happen?

I have been enrolled in the New York Sports Club for almost two years now. After work I often visit the club at 41st Street and 3rd Avenue. It is conveniently close to the office, so I can be there before the other members arrive, and in the meantime the rush hour can proceed while I am fitnessing.

This club, like many others, has training classes. My colleague Peter J. also vistits the same club and often participates in the fitness classes. He often teased me stating that while he was "working hard" in the class he found me "just sitting" on the training machines.

Anyway he often challenged me to join the training session, and today I did. What I had seen of the class so far, was that people were running jumping and stuff like that, so I thought that would be easy to do. When I arrived at the classroom and read the schedule I saw I was about to participate in a kickboxing class.....

The instructor provided me with the huge boxing gloves (it is very difficult, after putting on the first glove, to put on the second, by the way) and invited me to the warming up, in which I almost died of exhaustion. Later the kicking and punching on those big boxing bags started. It was so much fun, but, as always, much more difficult than one would expect.

The night afterwards regret came: I woke up at 4am with aching muscles EVERYWHERE and very intense! But, I will continue taking these classes!

Manhattan