Hurricane Sandy (2)

Manhattan Travel Blog

The Laundry across the street

At the time I am writing this weblog I am a "prisoner" on the island of Manhattan. Hurricane Sandy has arrived and all Bridges and Tunnels have been closed. Some early today, others per 7 pm.

It has been a very strange day. The APG office was closed so we were supposed to work from home. That worked partially. This morning everything looked pretty normal. There was a pretty strong wind but nothing too special.

At lunch time when I went out to get some lunch I spotted the first irregularity. Almost everything was closed. Not just the smaller shops but also chains like Dunkin Donuts and Radio Shack. I saw stores closed I had never seen closed before. I found lunch at a Pizza store on 86th Street, the owner explained he felt it important that his customers could always rely on him.

Taped windows, note the written text!
So he opened. Good man!

In the supermarket I was able to buy a gallon of freshly arrived drinking water and apples. I was just in time since it would close at 2pm.

After lunch it started getting more serious. The East River, which I can nicely see from my living room, started becoming rough. I mean, white topped waves and an increasing water level. The wind started hitting the building hard. At first my desk started shaking (because it is next to the air conditioning unit which is connected to the window). But later the whole building started swaying. It felt like I was on a ship rather than in a building. The blinds are swinging and the water (in my still filled bath tub) is sloshing like tea in a teacup. This is really scary.

I can also see the windows bend inward.

The northern tip of Roosevelt Island almost drowned
I hope they hold. The neighbors in the flat across the street have taped off their windows, maybe I should have done that too. Now it is too late.

Colleagues reported one-by-one power outages in their regions. I am so grateful I still have power!

At 5:30 I decided to be stupid for a moment. I just needed some fresh air and I took my old camera and headed towards the Carl Schurz Park, the park nearby at the East River. It has a big open space so no danger of branches or trees. I was not the only fool. There were many people watching in awe at the high water level and the big waves. The tip of Roosevelt Island was about to flood, so was the Manhattan waterside just north of the Park. The FDR Drive, one of the busiest roads on Manhattan was closed.

North of the Schurz Park
I, together with other amazed people could just cross it. On my way home I spotted the first tree that was blown over and smashed on a vehicle. Just like EXACT one year ago, October 29th when another Freak storm hit New York City. See here.

I even found a Chinese Restaurant open for business so I did not have to use my emergency food. The TV currently shows horrible images of the lower parts of the city being flooded. A crane on W57th Street has collapsed and is about to fall of a skyscraper causing more evacuations. On 8th Avenue a building seems to have collapsed. I get an email of colleagues almost every 10 minutes that they lost power, also on Manhattan!

To be continued (as long as I have power and internet).

More pictures below!!!

The Laundry across the street
Taped windows, note the written te…
Taped windows, note the written t…
The northern tip of Roosevelt Isla…
The northern tip of Roosevelt Isl…
The Pizza shop at 88th Street