Hiking Las Vegas Boulevard

Las Vegas Travel Blog

Stratosphere

I had to get up early. Not because I had to catch a plane, my plane would leave only at 4pm, but because I had to return my rental car. And since I rented it in the Stratosphere hotel I had to make my way to that hotel first. But not before I had carefully wiped off the car. It was a budget rental, so I had to take care of the excess dirt myself or I would be charged heavily. I had even bought a heavy duty sponge!

Then I had to return to the Super 8 hotel again, because my luggage had been stored there and my free shuttle would leave there too. I considered taking the bus that took me to the Stratosphere, or the Las Vegas Monorail, but decided to just walk. And that was a great choice. It gave me the possibility to see quite some casino hotels and other landmarks along the strip.

This is what I saw:
- Stratosphere: Opened in 1996, 2427 rooms, featuring the 350-meter (1149-feet) high tower.

Bonanza General Store

- Bonanza's General Store: Said to be the world's largest gift shop. It has nice iconic neon signs.
- The former Sahara / future SLS Casino: The first hotel I stayed in in Vegas. It unfortunately closed in 2011, but was given a chance to stay alive under the new name SLS Casino. It is currently under construction and planned to be opened in fall. The iconic entrance dome and the roller coaster have unfortunately been removed.
- The Fontainebleau: A beautiful but unfortunately unfinished hotel. It was scheduled to open in 2009 but went bankrupt and has been standing unfinished ever since.
- Circus Circus: Opened in 1968, 3773 rooms. One of the few remaining pre-1970 casinos.
- The Encore : Opened in 2008, 2034 rooms.
Circus Circus
More or less the sister hotel of The Wynn, owned by casino developer Steve Wynn. Said to be one of the finest hotels in the world.
- The Trump Hotel: Opened in 2008, 1282 rooms. Partly hotel, partly residential. The tallest residential building in Las Vegas.
- The Fashion Show Mall: Opened in 1981. Not a casino but just fashion stores.
The Wynn: Opened in 2005, 2716 rooms. More or less sister hotel of The Encore. Built on the former Desert Inn location.
- Treasure Island: Opened in 1993, 2884 rooms. Used to be my favorite hotel due to the beautiful pirate island and bay. This concept has unfortunately been abandoned and an ugly restaurant has been constructed in the bay.
The Mirage

- The Mirage: Opened in 1989, 3044 rooms. Features an erupting volcano, with waterfalls. Built on the site of the former Castaways Hotel.
- Caesar's Palace: Opened in 1966, 3960 rooms. Refurbished many times in such a way that one would not recognize this as one of the remaining pre-1970 casinos.
 - The Bellagio: Opened in 1998, 3950 rooms. Inspired by the village at Lake Como in Italy. Features an impressive fountain Show. The most powerful fountain shoots as high as 140 meters (460 feet)!

I was just in time to see the fountain show and then had to hurry to the Super 8 motel to catch my Airport Shuttle.

More pictures below.

Caesers Palace
Caesers Palace
The Bellagio
The Bellagio
The 7-km (4.3-mile) long hike from…
The 7-km (4.3-mile) long hike fro…
Las Vegas