Grand Concourse - 138th Street Subway Station

Bronx Travel Blog

Grand Concourse - 138th Street Subway Station, it may be one of the least busy subway stations. Yet, after my "home" station (86th Street) and the "work station" (Grand Central - 42nd Street), it is probably my third most visited subway station of the MTA network. The station is located close to my parking lot in the South Bronx.

The station was opened in 1918 by the Interborough Rapid Transit Company the private predecessor of the MTA who owned all the currently numbered subway lines. It is the most southern station in The Bronx, located in the neighborhood of Mott Haven. At that time the name of the station was Mott Haven Avenue. Today this old name still lives on in the iconic mosaic walls which still feature the characters "MH". The condition of the mosaic is not too good. Hopefully it will be restored too, like it was done in the Manhattan stations.

I am usually the only or one of the few who exit the train here. And especially in the late evenings I am often the only passenger in the whole station. I am getting used to the old station and its atmosphere. In the beginning it always felt creepy! By now I kinda like the station.

Tonight I just missed a subway, so I killed my time taking some pictures.

More pictures below!