Finding Nemo

Manhattan Travel Blog

First Avenue / 86th Street

The media were clear about it. A huge blizzard, called Nemo, was on its way to New England. Two systems would merge tonight and the idea was that it would turn into a huge super storm like event. It got a lot of coverage.

My visiting NL colleagues Christian and Rajender, who were flying back tonight had double checked and even rebooked their flight, at work we were allowed to wear jeans and boots, and the office was closed at 14:00 hrs so the employees could get home before the blizzard would hit.

This morning we had some snow, but not really impressive, the temperatures were above zero so no accumulation. At lunch the snow even turned to rain. I was not too convinced of the blizzard. New York City was also expected to only be at the edge of the system.

By 17:00 hrs the snow picked up.

Carl Schurz Park
Alarming info came in. In the states of Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut the state of emergency was declared. New York State followed the example. In Massachusetts it was even forbidden to drive. In some parts of New York City people, recalling Superstorm Sandy, had so enthusiastically filled their tanks that gas stations ran out of gas again. At 18:00 hrs Kennedy Airport closed, making the flight of my colleagues, that departed at 17:50, one of the last planes to leave the city.

And yes it snowed, but I was still not impressed. At 1:00 (AM) I went for a walk. There was a small 30 cm (11 inch) of snow, not as much as during the blizzard in 2009. So, I declared the purpose of my late night walk - Finding Nemo!

Yet the scenery was still great!

More pictures (taken with my Blackberry) below!

First Avenue