Concert at the 92Y

Manhattan Travel Blog

Sean Kubota, our conductor

I am pretty busy lately with my bassooning, as my colleagues Gerry and Stuart tend to call it. On May the 18th I had a concert with my woodwind quintet. Two days later the Don Giovanni concert in the park with Downtown Symphony see here. And in between I was subbing in another orchestra: The 92nd Street Y Community Orchestra. The 92Y is a cultural institution really close to where I live, at 92nd Street and Lexington Avenue. It organizes concerts, lectures, movies, and all kinds of classes. One of the classes is a chamber music orchestral class.

Since the orchestra did not have any bassoon players, Barb, a member of my other quintet, who played in the orchestra arranged that I could join them.

Website advert for the concert
The orchestra is very good, it is rehearsing very ambitiously and, played a very nice program. Being:
- Beethoven: Overture The Creatures of Prometheus (Op. 43)
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 27 (KV595)
- Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Joseph Haydn (Op. 56a)

The concert was tonight in one of the beautiful concert halls of the 92Y. I was very delighted that two of my colleagues: Michel and his wife Nelly, and Florin and his wife Andrea showed up in the audience.

During the rehearsal the orchestra had always been rather small. So, I was hugely surprised by the fact that tonight (after the organization probably hired several players) all of a sudden a nicely sized orchestra showed up. My, all-of-a-sudden bassoon and contra bassoon colleagues turned both out to be professional players, which gave me some stress. They were fortunately very nice and it plays so much nicer with the whole section complete.

Conductor Sean Kubota and soloist/conductor Tomo Matsuo guided us well trough the concert. A very nice concert and a very nice experience.

Manhattan