Cold weather forces creativity

Manhattan Travel Blog

My self-made heating unit

I still do not get it. It is almost the end of May. In the previous years we had had already many days with temperatures over 26° C (80 F). But this year the summer just does not seem to be ready to start.

Last Saturday the sun disappeared and the weather got grey, dull, rainy, and.... cold. When I came home today the temperature in my room was just about 15° C (59 F), not really comfy. Imagine, last year I had the air conditioning running at this time!! Now I pressed the red (heating) button of the combi unit in my room. But,... no heat!

The heaters are centrally operated. Which means, that hot water is being boiled in a central unit in the building and routed to all the heaters. Apparently the central heater had already been switched off for the season by the building management.

Since I do not have an electrical heating unit I had to come up with an alternative. I recalled my mother had once used this solution in the past when the heater at home had a malfunction. I switched on the four heating points of my gas cooker and applied the cooker hood above them, that only filters the air, to disperse the hot air.

It worked surprisingly well. In 5 minutes the temperature had gone up with almost 3 degrees...

Manhattan