Canoeing on the Kromme Rijn River

Utrecht Travel Blog

Today is my last day of my extended stay in the Netherlands. I spent the last night at Willem and Lot's in De Bilt. Since my flight was at the end of the day we had time to do an activity. And I choose something I had always wanted to do when I was studying in the city of Utrecht: Renting a canoe and do some canoeing on the Kromme Rijn (Crooked Rhine) River, at the edge of the city.

I had always thought a canoe was a typically American thing, imagining Indians and early explorers paddling over the American and Canadian lakes and rivers. I was extremely surprised to find out, researching for this weblog entry, that the oldest known canoe in the world was actually found in.... The Netherlands! It dates back to 8200 to 7600 BC. See here.

Rhijnauwen Castle

The Kromme Rijn is a very picturesque river, winding through the Dutch landscape of meadows, marshlands, forests and castles. The level difference of the 28-km (17 mile) long river is only 2 meters (6 ft), so the river is rather a very long pond than a roaring rafting brook. The advantage of this, however, is that one can make a return trip without making arrangements for being picked up downstream.

We rented a Canadian 3-person canoe and made our way over the water in a very relaxed way, well coached by Willem who is an avid amateur rower. The scenery was quite different from my last visit at this area in January last year ( see here).

Willem and Lot, thanks for this nice excursion!

More pictures below! Deze fake-tekst heb ik toegevoegd om net iets meer regels

Soulplane says: