Back in the Netherlands, staying in a hotel

Amstelveen Travel Blog

My temporary "home" in Amstelveen

Flight KL644 took me back to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport where I arrived a bit after 11 am. I always liked flying into Schiphol. It gave me the joy of being in the motherland for some time. This time the feeling was completely different. Of course it was nice to see Netherlands again, but this time there would not be a return flight anymore.

The weather did not help either. A grey mass of clouds was all it could offer. When I stepped outside the arrival hall it, like someone pressed a button, started raining immediately. Welcome back!

My parents, Willem, and Lot were there to collect me. Willem had created a nice Welcome Home sign. And handed me a beautiful little self made picture book of Post Toscana, my beloved former home in NYC.

Speaking of home: I was officially homeless now. My belongings were still standing somewhere in New Jersey, waiting for a container ship to take it to here.

My temporary "home" in Amstelveen
APG had booked me a room in HTel Serviced Apartments in Amstelveen. A nice hotel like venue. The rooms were a bit more than a hotel room (with e.g. a couch, table, kitchenette, etc.) but further no full service (cleaning only once a week). I was assigned a room at the top floor (10th floor) so a good way to literally DOWNscale from my 28th floor in New York.

My parents helped me settling in and doing groceries. They also brought me a bike so I had some kind of transportation.

While the raining poured down outside I was trying to get used to wet and grey Netherlands as well as to my temporary "home".

More pictures of the hotel can be seen in the TravBuddy review I wrote, see here.

Amstelveen Hotels & Accommodations review
Home in a hotel
HTel is a nice concept. It offers hotel like facilities in an apartment like building. HTel is focusing mainly on expats and that shows. The communica… read entire review
Amstelveen