Bon Jovi return to Hampden Park, Glasgow

Glasgow Travel Blog

Andrew, Ali, Charis and I travelled from home in Inverness to Oban on Friday 2nd - stopping at Loch Lochy for a cuppa and some rolls - it was a beautiful run .... but I had no batteries for my camera to take photos! Two bi-planes flew down the length of the loch and tipped their wings at us when we waved at them. On arriving at my folks' place, they had laid out a buffet with cards, pressies and a balloon for my birthday ... and the obligitory bottle of bubbly from Dad! It was a lovely way to spend my 37th birthday! Though it was a very late night - Charis didn't settle til about 11.30pm (she's such a party animal!) and I'm sure it was 1.00am before the rest of us went to bed!

It was an early start on Saturday morning - Dad ran Mum and Ali into Oban to catch the train at 8.20am and Andrew, Charis and I drove to Connel and left the car there, catching the same train at 8.30am 'ish. We reminisced about the days when trains had compartments you could sit in as a family ...... and bigger tables .... and more luggage space .... and more leg room!!! It was a joy in those days to travel by train in the UK - now it's usually stress from the moment you board to the moment you disembark! The day was turning out to be warm and sunny ... a change for Scotland!

As it was, it did turn out to be a very stressful journey - Charis was sick 4 times! Poor wee lassie! It was such a nightmare changing her - the toilets were too icky to change a wee one in so I ended up sitting by one of the doors and changing her there! Not the easiest of things to do on a packed train.

The train arrived at Queen Street station at about 11.30am 'ish and we headed for a coffee at Costas on the terminal .... having realised that we'd left Charis's pretty lilac lunchbox on the train! We had to wait for the train to return from refuelling, but the bag (and her lunches, dinners and plates for the next couple of days!!) was gone ... and hadn't been handed in to lost property. My old school pal, Ann MacLeod, met us and we headed to Marks and Spenser's to stock up on food for Charis. Mum bought her a gorgeous wee play tea set too!

Andrew then took his luggage out to the Premier Travel Inn at Glasgow Airport to book us all in, and the rest of us went to look for somewhere to have lunch. Everywhere was packed and it was very warm and sunny, so we got sandwiches and drinks at Sunbway and sat in George Square watching the world go by. It's so interesting seeing all the different fashions and nationalities going by! Charis eventually woke up but was more interested in chasing the pigeons than eating anything.

Ann left us about 3pm and Andrew joined us again - we walked Mum, Ali and Charis to Central Station where they got a taxi to the Travel Inn and we hopped on a train to Mount Florida. It was standing room only - and an incredible array of 'fashions' and 'styles' worn by fans heading to the concert. Now I was getting really excited!! We all decanted at Mount Florida for the short walk to Hampden Park, the football ground where the Scotland football team plays. We arrived at 5pm, so didn't have to queue to get in. We grabbed a beer and a red wine and 2 cardboard cheeseburgers then went to find our seats - section P, seats 19 and 20. We had a very clear view of the stage and spent the next hour or so watching everyone coming and going. The first act on were a band from Kilmarnock - but we couldn't really make out what they were singing about! There were a couple of girls at the end of our row who knew evry word! Next on were Nickleback - I've really gone off them now! Their language was atrocious and so unnecessary - there were a lot of children there and I was offended so I hate to think how the parents felt having their children subjected to that!

Then .... at 8pm ... Bon Jovi came on!

..>change()..>

IN THESE ARMS
HAVE A NICE DAY
WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME
IT'S MY LIFE
I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU (electric version with Richie Sambora on lead vox)
COMPLICATED
BAD MEDICINE (with SHOUT)
RAISE YOUR HANDS
LIVIN' ON A PRAYER

encores:
THE RADIO SAVED MY LIFE TONIGHT
JUST OLDER
KEEP THE FAITH
WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE
SOMEDAY I'LL BE SATURDAY NIGHT

The concert was absolutely amazing! I have to say that it is the best concert I have ever been to! It was exciting, invigorating, dazzling, refreshing, inspiring, spirited, entertaining, energetic ... it was a blooming good concert!!! They are such amazing artists! I was so moved by some of the songs - some of the older ones and some of the newer ones - and found a new favourite in 'Who says you can't go home?'

Album:    Have A Nice Day
Track:    WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME?

"I spent twenty years trying to get out of this place
I was looking for something I couldn't replace
I was running away from the only thing I've ever known
Like a blind dog without a bone
I was a gypsy lost in the twilight zone
I hijacked a rainbow and crashed into a pot of gold

I been there, done that
But I ain't looking back on the seeds I've sown
Saving dimes spending too much time on the telephone

There's only one place they call me one of their own
Just a hometown boy born a rolling stone
Who says you can't go home
Who says you can't go back
I been all around the world and as a matter of fact
There's only one place left I want to go
It's alright, it's alright, it's alright, it's alright, it's alright

I went as far as I could, I tried to find a new face
There isn't one of these lines that I would erase
I lived a million miles of memories on that road
With every step I take I know that I'm not alone
You take the home from the boy
But not the boy from his home
These are my streets, the only life I've ever known

There's only one place they call me one of their own
Just a hometown boy born a rolling stone
I been all around the world and as a matter of fact
There's only one place left I want to go
Who says you can't go home

I been there, done that and I ain't looking back
It's been a long, long road
Feels like I never left, that's how the story goes

It doesn't matter where you are, It doesn't matter where you go
If it's a million miles away or just ten miles up the road
Take it in , Take it with you when you go
Who says you can't go home?"

The concert finished at about 10.30pm ... and 40,000 odd people headed for the train! Ann and her boyfriend Graham met us for a quick drink - but then we had the nightmare of trying to get from Hampden to the airport. We eventually got a taxi and arrived at the Travel Inn at around 12.30am - Mum and Ali were knackered, but Charis had been a bitty better so they had had quite a good night with her. We collected her from their room and retired to ours (Rm 23) to have a sandwich and a cuppa before bed.

Sunday morning we rose at 9.15am and joined Ali and Mum for breakfast at 9.45am - the Travel Inn is very comfortable and the breakfast was fine. Back to the rooms to pack and we headed for the bus into the city centre. A coffee at Costas at Queen Street station again then we said 'goodbye' to Andrew who was getting the bus directly to Inverness as he was taking part in the evening service at church. We boarded the train for Oban - it was far quieter today so we spread out a bit more. It was a pretty uneventful journey and we got off at Connel, relieved to see our heap of a car in one piece! Back to my folks' place at Dunbeg for a bite to eat and a cuppa then Ali, Charis and I hit the road to travel back to Inverness. We had a good journey, imagining what our lives will be like in 3 years time and asking questions about where we will be, what we'll be doing, etc! We stopped at the Commando memorial at Spean Bridge for a cuppa and a look at the memorial garden where Dad has been placing crosses in memory of our Grandfather. Back on the road we continued with our 'quiz' ... and got stopped at Invergarry by a road worker and a sign saying the road was closed.  We were told that there had been a fatal road accident at Invermoriston so we would have to take the Dores turn off at Fort Augustus. That was fine as it meant I'd be bypassing Ali's home and could drop here there. Charis and I were home by 9.30pm 'ish, so managed to catch the tail end of our monthly social. What a great weekend despite the travelling and a poorly girl!

X_Drive says:
Sounded like a good time, and I love the way you write.
Posted on: Jun 30, 2006