Futbol - Fussball - Soccer / Si se puede! (Yes we can!) :)

Lima Travel Blog

the entrance
Finally the day arrived: Peru vs Argentina!!! I like soccer, but I'm not a huge fan. I don't follow the local matches, since the local teams are not very good. I'm interested in the big matches, like the Worldcup. So this time would be really cool. There were 3 reasons:
  1. It was a match for the Worldcup Eliminatories, 2 National teams.
  2. It would be my first time in that stadium, which is pretty new - for a stadium I mean.
  3. I would be go with a TB who is fan of soccer!!!!
The match was at 9:30pm. The streets near the stadium were closed, so the taxis couldn't arrive to the entrance. We took a cab which left us about 5 blocks away, not bad at all!!! It was around 8:45pm when we arrived, by the time we were inside in our places it was 9:15pm.
ouch!!!!
We arrived just on time :)

Last Saturday Peru played against Venezuela and won, therefore the stadium was almost full. It was so nice to feel all the energy of the people just cheering and clapping there. Before the match started; Thorben and I made a bet: Piscos, haha. Shame on me, I said Argentinia would win... Thorben was going for Peru :) There was just a small group of Argentinean, the rest of the stadium was red & white - including Thorben & me.  We also noticed there were a group of Germans wearing red & white, haha.

When the Argentinean team showed up, people were buuuu! but when the Peruvian one showed up, everyone stood up and started to shout and clap, so did Thorben and I. He had to be a Peruvian, haha. Actually he was wearing a Peruvian Scarf, hehe.
Gooooool
Well, we sang the National Anthem and Thorben recorded it, haha. He was telling me how the matches are in Germany. Well, people everywhere enjoy being in a stadium and feel the energy, but he thought people were a bit more euphoric here :)

There were a lot of vendors walking all over and offering snacks, sandwiches, sodas, etc. It's forbidden to sell alcohol in the stadium. So you won't be able to find a beer for sale. But the vendors know how to sneak things, haha. There was one selling Inca Kola and shouting: "Inca Kola con Ronaldo!!!" which means: "Inca Kola con Ron" (Inca Kola with Rum) haha. I didn't know they mix Inca Kola with any liquor, haha.

Peruvian team was playing really good, so bad they didn't score yet. People were mad at the referee and were shouting and blaiming him.
the news at the next day: "We are alive"
Even Thorben did it, haha, in Spanish, haha. It was the second half when Argentina scored! Oh no!!!! I was feeling sad, although I was winning the bet. The match was almost over - just 5 min were left - and some people started to leave the stadium... while others (including us) were just screaming: "Si se puede!" (tranlation might be: yes it's possible). Suddenly, at the very last minute Peru scored, yay!!!! I have never been so happy about loosing a bet, haha.

Everyone jumped and hugged. Yes, we didnt' win, but a tie with Argentina... not bad at all, hehe. The game was over and it was time to leave. There were tons of people leaving at same time, so we had to walk for quite long to find a taxi, which wasn't cheap. But it was almost midnight + we were feeling so happy after the match! yeah!!!!

Peru rocks!!!

yadilitta says:
Yes, the boys played really well!
Posted on: Sep 13, 2008
jmaxiv says:
Wow, congrat's to Peru, two in a row!!
Posted on: Sep 12, 2008
yadilitta says:
jaja, el que no salta... jaja
Si pues, los muchachos le pusieron ganas y dejaron todo en la cancha. Merecian ganar, pero asi es el futbol. Ojala que sigan asi!!!!

El que no salta.. :D
Posted on: Sep 12, 2008
Gooooool
the news at the next day: We are …
the news at the next day: "We are…
our location in Stadium