Enjoying a Peruvian Folklore night with Francois – so much fun!

Lima Travel Blog

ready to party, but first tasting some wine :)

After 2 Holidays it was time to go back to the real life and work. But it wouldn’t stop me of meeting Francois later, haha. We had already plans for going to “Brisas del Titicaca” a peña, which has an incredible colorful show with typical dances and customs; besides a band which plays dance music. I’ll write a review of that. Anyway, I worked during the day and agreed to meet Francois at 5pm in Barranco. The show started at 8:45pm, so we had plenty of time.

I picked him up and went to a supermarket to buy some stuff to take back home: pisco, inca kola & coca tea, haha. In Surco, there is a park “Friendship Park” which has an Arabic Arc, something so strange, but it’s nice.

dancers from La Llamerada
Francois found that interesting and we took a walk in the park. Then we drove to my house. I had to change clothes and wanted to leave my car. I didn’t  want to drive, just wanted to enjoy the night, hehe. A responsible driver ;)

Before leaving, we checked our TB’s sites, haha and drank what was left from the Riesling. Sante! Ok, it was getting late and we had to take a cab. Also the place was in downtown and traffic can be hard. After bargain with the taxi drivers, we found a good offer and drove to the “Brisas”. It was early for the show and we decided to have a snack before going into the place, since it might be expensive inside and we didn’t want to waste time eating if we could either be enjoying the show or dancing, hehe. Of course the drinks are another history. Sure we had to have pisco drinks, haha.

At 8:45 exactly the show started.

Marinera Punena
This place is more focused in the Puno’s and Highlands’ Folklore. It started with a type of band named “Estudiantina” which is typical from Puno. They played some songs, but there were no dances yet. They were warming up everything. I noticed Francois was getting a bit impatient. He was expecting a big show. Well, be patient my friend!

Finally the dances started. First one was “La llamerada”. It’s inspired in the lamas “llamas”. Francois was asking me why the girls were holding little lamas, haha. This dance is typical from Puno area – actually the Altiplano. Then some musicians with native instruments showed up. They had something looking like flutes, but they weren’t round. They had a particular sound. This kind of music made Francois remember his past days in Puno.

Huaylas' couple

Then the dancers came again and danced the “Marinera Puneña”. The Marinera is a kind of dance present in every region. It’s about a couple and the customs, music and way to dance is different in every region; but at the end is the same: a boy and a girl ;)

Now it was time to dance. Another band was at the stage. They started performing some “Valses” which I was singing haha, the lyrics were very patriotic – perfect for National Holidays and then they started to play dance music. And I gave Francoise the signal to stand up and dance: I just took off my glasses, haha. Bye bye Intelectual Yadi, welcome Dancing Yadi, hahaha.

Now it was time for another dance, but this time for the central Highlands.

colorful dance from "La Libertad"
This one is called: “Huaylas” and is very colorful and full of energy. Francois really liked it. Wow! Just looking at the dancers made me tired, ufff. Time to go to the west and enjoy a dance from Aristocratic Lima. The clothing was red & white like our flag. They danced: “vals” and  “Marinera Limeña”. These dances are more elegant, not so colorful, but still very nice. They are really soft.

They dancers left and the lights turned off. Suddenly a group of musicians playing typical instruments showed up. They were the sicuris! They play and sing, so the people can sing with them. A girl came and started to go to each table and asked people to dance at the stage, haha. I was clapping and she came straight to me, haha. Francois was laughing and 5 min later he was dancing too, haha. Ok, now it was time for some dance and then another colorful dance.

really nice
I don’t remember the name of it and I really liked it, because it was new for me too. Haha. This is from the north – La Libertad – and they make fun of the Spanish, their clothes, weapons, customs, etc. Yay! Something new for me too! Yay!

So, we kept on going to the north. This time with a “Tondero” a dance from Piura; this was originated in the farm and it should represent the birds’ couples. I like this dance a lot. The clothing might not be very colorful, but how they dance is really nice. Both, boy and girl, barefoot. Another break for the dancers, but not for us. I took my glasses off and we went to the dance floor, haha. While I was there somebody hug me! What? And there she was! Monica is a friend of mine who right now lives in Atlanta, but was there having fun with some friends, haha.

they were great dancers
The world is so small, haha.

Now it was time to go back to Puno and the Titicaca Lake. The first dance was the “Tuntuna” which is performed in Puno and also in Bolivia. The dancers are acrobats. Wow! The boys do a great job! And the girls look so beautiful with her boots and miniskirts. It might be difficult wearing a miniskirt in cold Puno, brrrr. That dance has always amazed me. There are couples dancing, but also a solo dancer who. Ah! One of the guys has a whistle and leads the others.

Francois was still waiting for a dance where people wear the big masks he saw in Puno.

great dancers!
And finally it came. This is “La Morenada”. There were couple dancing when the “Reyes Morenos” Brunette Kings showed up. They represent the black people who were brought to Puno by the Spanish and how they mixed the local people. This dance is really colorful and there are also 2 solo dancers with fun masks. Wow! Francois was happy and me too.

The show was almost over, but there was still time for the last dance. It was “Marinera Norteña”. There are marineras all over the country, but the Norteña one is the most impressive. It’s so full of energy. The girl dances barefoot wearing a nice dress and jewels and the boy wears the traditional custom of a “Chalan” with could be described as a sort of Peruvian cowboy, haha. The dance shows how the 2 of them fall in love. Every year this is a national contest for this dance and the dancers who performed it this night were champions. The boy was very young but danced as he had years and years of experience. I think this was the perfect ending for a great show.

It was around 1:45am and it was time to leave. We had a great time there and enjoyed every dance and song. This was a good choice, wasn’t it Francois?

yadilitta says:
it was perfect! perfect for your last night in Peru! at least for your 1st visit to the country ;)
Posted on: Aug 02, 2008
FR-ank says:
absolutamente / absolutely / absolument :D
what a great night
Posted on: Aug 02, 2008
ready to party, but first tasting …
ready to party, but first tasting…
Huaylas couple
Huaylas' couple
colorful dance from La Libertad
the ticket heeh
the ticket heeh
getting ready to leave: wine + ent…
getting ready to leave: wine + en…
The Estudiantina
go, go
go, go
The Sicuris were calling the people
The Sicuris were calling the people
when would I be able to dance?
when would I be able to dance?
the caporal
so romantic
so romantic
ha! she want something better
ha! she want something better
ok, he was on his knees...
ok, he was on his knees...
amazing dancers!
amazing dancers!
2 peruanos!!!
2 peruanos!!!
Lima Nightlife & Entertainment review
Dances from the Altitude – Brisas del Titicaca / Titicaca Breezes
This Place is located near downtown. It might not be the most beautiful area, but once you go inside, everything changes. It used to be small, but now… read entire review
Lima