Being a history teacher with Mike – my 1st TB from Oregon :)

Lima Travel Blog

Mike interested in the culture

Some weeks ago I got a message from Mike. He would visit Peru the next month and he needed some advice about how to do it as best as possible. He’s really interested in the ancient civilizations and wanted to see the Inca Culture. He’s not the kind of TB I usually meet. Usually I meet young people. Well, he’s not young, but has more energy than a lot of young people and has a real passion for knowing different cultures and customs.

He arrived on Sunday 3rd very late and we met the next day. We have been talking about meeting, since I wanted to give him the final tips for his adventure here. I met him at 1pm in Miraflores. We went straight to have lunch. I asked him if he’d like to try a Peruvian Buffet and he agreed 100%.

our first lunch
He likes to know places and people, but not also superficially, he likes to understand everything as much as possible. We drove to a nice restaurant and he’s such a gentleman. He had this kind of gestures with me, such as: pulling my chair, don’t take sit before I did, open the car’s door even if I were driving, etc. Wow! I love these small but meaningful details.

I was driving, but it wouldn’t stop me for having a pisco sour. Hey! It was Mike’s first day in Lima and sure he had to try it. Also it was in his list from things to do/try in Peru ;) He liked it, hehe, who doesn’t? First he tried the fish and seafood dishes. I was worried about the spice, but he liked spicy food, so it was perfect! It was a buffet, so we were able to eat as much as possible, but the conversation was so interesting, that we were forgetting about eating, haha.

rocoto relleno, canchita & tiradito
He wanted to know as much as possible from our history and current days. I felt so proud about my Peru and the fact that someone from far away was so interested and knew so much about it – not just the things you watch on TV. Well, the food is part of our culture too – and we are very proud about it too – so as part of the experience it was time to go for the entrees.

He liked them, but was very interested in know about the origins of the food and from which part of the country the dishes come. But we didn’t talk only about Peru. He’s from Oregon and since I’ve never been in that part of the States; he was telling me about that region.

Gold, gold!
We were already full, but couldn’t say no to the desserts. Oh! I was forgetting. My pisco was over and he asked me if I’d like to have another one. No, no, no. I’m a responsible driver ;) but I’d have Inca Kola! I have the diet and he got the regular one. Same as some people, he thought it tastes like Cream Soda, haha.

It was time to leave, mmm, where to go? He’d leave to Arequipa, Cusco and Puno in a couple of days and in order to have a better idea or our history I suggested to go to a museum! The big museum I always recommend was partially closed, so we went to one I haven’t visited in years! I went there when I was in high school!!! It wasn’t so close, but the drive was worth. The “Museo Larco” has a huge collection of Pre Inca Art Pieces and they are open daily. Suddenly I remembered all the history lessons I had at school.

at the museum
We saw the different development’s stages of the Pre Inca Cultures in the whole territory of the country; their ceramics, textiles, metallurgy, etc. Mike was impressed with my “wisdom” hehe. Thanks Mrs. Dora – she was my history teacher, haha.

We left the museum almost at 6pm and drove back to Miraflores. Not only he was staying there, but also he hasn’t been able to do sightseeing there. Ok, I’d fix it; besides is part of Yadi’s tour, haha. I showed him the love park, and surroundings. It was almost 7pm and we were getting a bit hungry, well it was more just wanting to have a bite. I was thinking about Larcomar and he told me he has already been there. Oh no! But not during night time, so let’s go there. Also he wanted to see this mall, since he’s read about it and its nice view. We went to a nice café (Mango’s) ordered a platter of appetizers and drank Passion fruit juice and Inca Kola, haha.

the Kiss at Love Park
I was showing him the coast of Lima and we were planning what to do the next day. I’d be working during the day; so he’d go to downtown with his host and we’d meet in the afternoon.

I had a great time with Mike. I was able to teach him a lot about Peru and he was the perfect student, listening carefully and being really interested. Wonderful!

cheers with our first piscos
pieces made of shell
pieces made of shell
earrings wow!
earrings wow!
this earring looks painful, ouch!
this earring looks painful, ouch!
so nice!
peaceful yard
peaceful yard
Lima Sights & Attractions review
Discover the ancient Peru - Museo Larco
Located in a vice-royal mansion of a 18th century built over a 7th century pyramid surrounded by beautiful gardens. This museum is more expensive t… read entire review
Lima