Tikal

Flores Travel Blog

The main reason for coming to Flores is to see the ´New York´ of Mayan architecture which is Tikal. We had an easy transit over the border into Guatemala. We had had stories of it taking ages and costing whatever they fancied charging but it was all smooth. Flores itself is on a little island in the middle of a lake. Saint Elena is just the other side of the bridge but very dodgey and we were advised not to visit it so haven´t. We had a 2.30am start this morning to see the sunrise from Temple 4, the highest temple in Tikal. It was worth it as the view from up there was something special and what made it better was the sounds of Howler monkeys calling to each other as the sun came up. I also saw Toucans and another creature that I can´t remember the name of, a bit like a racoon. I´ve just slept this afternoon and catching up on things before we head off tomorrow. Its a long travel day of about 7 hours. The best thing is being able to do my laundry here. Clean clothes rock.
The group thing is starting to grate on me a little bit. The are a few moaners but i think they finish in Guatemala and 6 more people join.
I´ve been very reserved in my shopping. One of the markets in a couple of days may change that though...
Flores