Rio Dulce to Antigua

Antigua Travel Blog

Sorry it's been a little while since my last update. The last few days have been quite tiring especially since we have been in swampy areas and quite damp. Its been tiring too so having a few days in Antigua has been a welcome rest. Its the end of the first half of the trip and 6 people are leaving and 6 more joining the group.

From Flores we went to Rio Dulce which means 'sweet water' which was back in the swamp lands on the Carribean coast of Guatemala. Its where a river joins the sea. Its all sub tropical rainforest. It is the tail end of the rainy season and it rained while we were there. It would have been relaxing as they had a pool and the surroundings were nice but the dampness got me down. I have the sweetest blood known to man apparently. I have been named 'the human bite' as i get biten through 50% Deet AND clothes. I get a bad reaction to them too so my legs are not the most attractive sight! While in Rio Dulce I went on a walk around the rain forest and visited a local rubber plant. Apparently there is vast amounts of wildlife but as yet haven't seen as much as I would like. (except the mossies!)

From there we had a night in Antigua and left our big packs at the hotel before heading to Panajachel via the markets of Chichi..somethingorother. (haven't got my guidebook with me for spelling, sorry!) there my shopping gene took over and now I look like a guatemalan wannabe! There were some gorgeous things especially textiles. I got a big blanket in really bright colours and a top and bag and shoes..you get the picture!

Panajachel is situated ont he edge of a volcanic lake with 3 inactive volcanoes surrounding it. It was absolutely gorgeous. I had a proper rest which I needed as I had the guatamalen upset stomach to go with my outfit. All good for the weight loss I say! It is quite a hippie town and very laid back. I found an italian chocolatier there which made me very happy! we are now back in Antigua for 2 nights. The new group join us tonight and we head off at 4am tomorrow to Copan in Honduras. Apparently the next few days are very demanding in terms of travelling time and early starts. Yesteday Gemma and I found a spa and had a pedicure and facial which was much needed. It took priority over climbing an active volcano, lava and all. I thought you'd be pleased by that mum!

The rum here is very good and the drink of choice, leaving a bit of space for the odd tequila now and then. Haven't had a hangover yet but the journey is young. Today is just catching up with everyone and a little more shopping perhaps but i'm a bit tight for space in my pack.

paranoid_worm says:
Sounds like you're having a fantastic, if exhausting time! Love reading your blog updates now you have linked them to facebook. Hope you have enough hydrocortisone for the mozzie bites! Keep smiling, and enjoy every minute. x
Posted on: Nov 18, 2007