I'm going to retire here!

Dunsborough Travel Blog

My family has being taking a week or two for a summer holiday in the coastal town of Dunsborough ever since I can remember. At first we would go and stay with family friends and when I was about 8yrs old my parents bought a holiday home to call our own. Some of my greatest memories are soaked into the walls of that house!

The Dunsborough of my childhood was the typical country town: a bakery, grocer and a pub shared the title of 'town centre'. We used to walk or ride into 'Town' to buy the best meat pies and 'beestings' (a mix between apple turnover and a croissant) in the world! Of course now there are 3 surfwear stores, a motel and a video store... not to mention a huge monstrosity of a shopping centre! But the town manages to maintain that small cosy feeling that makes it feel like paradise.

Dunsborough sits at one end of the large, shallow Geographe Bay, south of Busselton. It is on the northern side of the Naturaliste headland so that it feels like it's surrounded by beaches. You can drive North, South or West and you will hit a sandy strip. The best places to look for are Meelup beach, Old Dunsborough beach and Yallingup (which now has it's own town but is only about 30mins by car). Meelup is the family-orientated swathe of white sand and calm water. You can walk around the point and find some great fishing, especially in salmon season! Yallingup is great for surfing and snorkeling, the reef is right on the beach but there are deep, calm areas for swimming.

Finally, try some overland fun! If you have a 4wd (a real one), take some of the bush tracks, you will find some surprises! Be careful! Some of the tracks end up as firebreaks on private land and some places are very sandy. If you aren't 100% ask at the tourist office for advice.

Go! See! Enjoy!
Dunsborough Sights & Attractions review
subterranean sights
Western Australia is home to some of the oldest caverns known in the world. If you like caves, or even if you don't, these two are awesome. Check befo… read entire review
Dunsborough