The Tourist Trap #2

Amsterdam Travel Blog

The new I AMsterdam campaign at newyear's eve.

Many people try to get drunk, screwed (funny enough, in more ways than one..), and high in just one go.. "hey, while I'm in Amsterdam, I might as well do that too!" ..I find it disgusting how some people treat this city like she's a run-down, good for nothin' whore, who takes a beating from anyone!

Sadly enough, the truth should be told, Amsterdam is just that to the avarage tourist. When they come here, they disregard any moral values they've learned whatsoever, and it makes me puke. No city deserves this kind of treatment, no matter who you are.

No people, my city is much more than that, when you treat her with respect, she'll give you a warm welcome, she opens up to you, tells you her life stories (and believe me, in the 800 years she's lived, there are many stories that are worth your time) and invites you for a nice cup o' coffee.

My beautiful city! The enchanting canals..
Amsterdam has alot to offer, laying aside the booze, woman, and softdrugs. The people are helping and very friendly towards tourists, and the dogs-owners are very clean nowadays (they have to, otherwise they get charged a good sum for littering) :-P  Point is, we have other things to offer as well, like Mme Toussauds (museum of wax statues), Artis (city zoo), The Anne Frank house, the distinctive city canals (Yes, all of them are worth checking out), the Rembrandt house, the van Gogh museum, the Rijksmuseum, the Jewish historical museum (A'dam has a very rich history with Jews), the Leidseplein, the Damsquare, the Munt, Rembrandtplein, Waterlooplein, and the list goes on and on..

Please tourists, don't fall in the same trap many tourists before you have.. and consider that the coin also has another side, a side you won't forget that soon, a side that you carry around with you, a side that you'll miss, a side that you'll fall in love with.

Thank you for your time, Marva (on behalf of the city of Amsterdam.)

I have a bit of a problem.. I LOVE Amsterdam.

And because of that, I can't stay in other places very long.. I start to miss this city after a couple of weeks..

About a week ago, I walked across the bridge at the city-centre, and I almost started to cry.. I got all choked up with this nostalgic feeling when I saw a canalboat passing by beneath me..

Yes, I have a weakness, and that weakness is this fascinating city, a.k.a. "Mokum", as we Dutch folk also call it.

It's a shame that tourists, when they visit my beloved city, just go to the red light district and the coffeeshops, not taking their time to get to know her better..

When they see Amsterdam, they see cheap whores, cheap beer, and cheep cannabis, they see sin city, equivalent to Las Vegas.. and they don't even bother to take a second look.

I, as a resident of this beautiful city, find it offensive that they come back with stories of low moral values.. basically raping the city of Amsterdam, when infact, my city deserves alot more than that.

You wanna know more now correct? Read #2 of 'The Tourist Trap'.

Doei! (bye)

Bartje83 says:
Right, I do agree on that ;)
Posted on: Nov 09, 2007
The new I AMsterdam campaign at ne…
The new I AMsterdam campaign at n…
My beautiful city!
The enchanting…
My beautiful city! The enchantin…
Amsterdam General Tips & Advice review
#1 If you come across a guy in an alley that askes for a euro, just ignore him, and walk away.. don't worry, he's probably just a homeless person, but… read entire review