EuropeFranceNice

Bonjours, mes amis

Nice Travel Blog

Villefranche

On Tuesday we went to Villefranche, France. We went into town and found what the Europeans call a Petite Train. It’s a tour train with open sides and it really cute. This was the first place where I saw Trompe L’Oiel (meaning “fool the eye”). Trompe l'oeil is an advanced art style that gives an illusion of three dimensions where there is only a flat surface.  In Villefranche there are trompe l'oeil paintings of windows where there are no windows and it's fun to see if you can figure out which are real and which are not..

Having gotten a small taste of Villefranche, we hopped a real train and went to Monaco. Bad idea!!! This was the week of the Grand Prix and in addition to all the construction that seems to be going on everywhere, there were all kinds of grandstands set up and tourists walking around.

Monaco is very hilly!!! We trooped up the hills to get to the Casino de Monte Carlo.

Le Petite Train
On the way we encountered the Monaco Opera House and the Theater, both of which deserve much more attention than the more famous casino.

We finally got to the casino, only to find out that if we wanted to set our little feet in it, we had to pay 10 Euro each and surrender our passports. We didn't have our passports with us, and I didn’t want to see the inside of the casino to the tune of 10 Euros, so we passed on that chance.

Because of the Grand Prix, there were all sorts of moneyed people around—at least it looked like that from the cars that were parked out in front of the casino. Larry called me over to look at a Jaguar and when I went to stand next to it so he could take a picture, he said, “Don’t stand in front of the car!!!” I was not offended—I laughed. Men and their toys.

Trompe loeil
Trompe l'oeil
Just in case you get lost
Just in case you get lost
The Monaco Theater
The Monaco Theater
To the left, Ladies and Gentlemen.…
To the left, Ladies and Gentlemen…
The Monaco Opera House