Redlands Historical Walk

Redlands Travel Blog

Redlands Historical Museum

Redlands was founded on the back of a growing citrus industry that the prevalence of the train system was making a booming business in the 1800s.  The soil and the hills were perfect for the drainage needed to plant thriving orange and avocado trees as well as many other types of citrus.

I began my walk at the Redlands Historical Museum, in the old location of the City Hall.  Located on the corner of Orange and Citrus (what else) streets, this is a logical place to start an afternoon of walking.  While most Redlands hotels are located closer to the freeway, I was able to catch a buss to the 'mall' (which proved to be a glorified strip mall) and walked over from there.

AK Smiley Public Library
  Much of the museum is still under construction I was able to see the historic building it is located in, which includes some of the original fixtures.

From the museum I walked South West 1/2 a block to the AK Smiley Public Library, a beautiful red building that has recently been restored to it's original condition.  The dome on the top had been removed for concerns about earthquake safety, however it is now re-built and I was excited about being able to see it for the first time.  Inside the library I was disappointed to find out that the dome is closed to the public and used mostly for city board meetings.  I asked the volunteer at the desk if there were any way I could see it and I was shocked that she (it was not a busy day) willingly took me up there immediately.  It is a beautiful room and the windows that look out in every direction give some lovely views of the surrounding countryside.

In the Library's 'back yard' is the Lincoln shrine and memorial. It has very limited hours and I was saddened that I did not get a chance to go inside.

Across from the library I enjoyed a visit to the Redlands Bowl, which is a lovely historic structure home to the Redlands Community Music Association.  The Music Association puts on community music professional concerts and an annual amateur musical every year for the citizens of the town.  If you come during the summer, plan on staying over a Tuesday or Friday night so that you can see one of the excellent, and free, performances.

Redlands