Bolsa Chica State Beach

Huntington Beach Travel Blog

I've been to Bolsa Chica State Beach several times, usually when a group of friends and I want to make sure we can get a fire pit.  This beach is located to the north of the hotels in Huntington Beach, which also sports a nice hostel for travelers on a budget.  On the opposite side of the Huntington lagoon, this is a very long beach dotted at regular intervals with wonderful firepits and occasional bathrooms.

We went to Bolsa Chica for my friend Mat's birthday because he'd never had a birthday party at the beach (or even outside) because he was from Oklahoma where February was a very cold month.  Although it got a bit chilly, we enjoyed having the entire beach mostly to ourselves.  Durring the summer the beach gets full of day-trippers who are traveling up and down the coast in large motorhomes and which take up extra parking places.

Some people don't like Bolsa Chica much, mostly because it is so isolated and barren of green life.  That and it has a bad reputation of clenlieness of water due to it's position along the shoreline south of Los Angeles.  The clenlieness isn't something I've ever had a problem with, but then I don't usually go to Bolsa Chica to swim or surf.   Feel free to check the Bolsa Chica website for up-to-date health concerns.
416 km (258 miles) traveled