AsiaVietnamHanoi

Good morning Vietnam!

Hanoi Travel Blog

More Airport Photos! Bangkok
Finally got here in Vietnam. What a culture shock!
Landing on the 11th. Wait... So todays the 12th? What year is it? Wow. My biological clock is so messed up right.
As soon as I landed and took a crazy ride in a bus filled to the brim of people, I took a walk around looking for my hostel. Once I figured that out walked around the lake. I have so much more to write about here, and pics to post, but I'm at this cafe and running outa battery life. I'll check in later.

Cont'
So this is how it all went down. Got off the plane, went stright to customes, had to get my "Visa on Arrival" which I thought was a scam because I paid some dood $22 to get one via internet before leaving. Guess what? It acually worked! Then I had to stand on line for like 1.5 hours waiting for immigration.
Temple on the lake
Then I was approved! Woohoo! Found this bus that would take me to the area I had to get to.
For the next 45 mins squished in a bus with many more people than there should hve been... Was a ride with constant honking. Most people were on motorbikes or scooters of some sort zipp'n around eachother, dodging cars. I saw lots of poverty. Dirt roads.
Anyways, get dropped off in the wrong part of town w/ some other French peoples. Course, first thing I did was whip out the map, which by the way is a tell-tail sign that you have no idea wtf you are. And of course, they all want to help you.
I was amazed at the narrow streets and intersections, the crazy traffic, everyone on those motorbikes. Crossing the streets you dodge'em all. I took good video of the intersections, I'll upload those later.

Anyways, found the hostel. Checked in. Dropped off my stuff, and went for a walk. I helped this little old lady across the street. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW SHE GETS AROUND with all this craziness.
So met some people on the roof of the hostel when i got back. We all went out for some eats.
Eating on the sid eof one of thses tiny streets, it was sureal. Everyone was sitting on these little Fisher Price-looking seats, no taller than like 10 inches! The place was packed! I have pics of that too. EVentually, the police showed up. Kicked us all off the street, started throwing the restaurant owner's stuff into the back of the police car. I thought we were eating illegal food or sumptn? Guess maybe she didnt pay them off this week? We paid and left.
Everyone headed to the top of the hostel again.
I had another beer, and then crashed till this morning. I was sooooo tired. I think they all left. Thats kinda sad because I kind of find it hard to make friends here. Maybe its just me?? Thought it was cuz I was American, but today I met some of them, and they didnt seem too friendly either(One of them was all bandaged up cuz he rented a motorbike and got all banged up).
Tomorrow I'm off to Halong Bay for 3 days. Package deal.

Another couple comments:
Things of noteworthiness.
The fact that most of us in more developed countries tend to take for granted the luxuries and comforts we have.
Cleaner air for one. I can see why a lot of Vietnamese people walk around with those handkerchiefs around their mouths.  The air quality is horrible. And it seems so easy to find good food and good medical care for most of all of us at least in the states. Its easy to have a much greater quality of life. When we whine about our unhappy lives driving SUVs and owning 2-3 story homes. These people seem to have so much less, and probly make just enough money every day to survive. Little pocket mom and pop shops.

-E
cheriecher says:
looking forward yr pics...
Posted on: Nov 12, 2007
Raphje says:
I think you were a bit 'unlucky' in meeting nice people, you'll meet them! I'm sure! Ha Long Bay is beautiful, enjoy :-)! I'm looking forward to the pictures!
Posted on: Nov 12, 2007
More Airport Photos!
Bangkok
More Airport Photos! Bangkok
Old Prison
Old Prison
Collection of items from the war.
Collection of items from the war.
Bangkok Airport
Bangkok Airport
Thought it was funny that my plane…
Thought it was funny that my plan…
Vietnam streets
Vietnam streets
Crazy bikers.
Crazy bikers.
Youll see a lot of these kind of …
You'll see a lot of these kind of…
Heroes memorial.