Walk, walk, walk...

Paris Travel Blog

Venus de milo at the Louvre
My legs and feet are not happy with me right now. I've walked more in the last week and a half than in the last 4 months back home.  I'm not complaining too much because it helps burn off the rich food and beers. :-)

I didn't have to go into the office yesterday, so I did some work from the hotel in the morning, and then headed off to the Louvre with another guy from work. We spent about 5 hours there and saw a lot of things I didn't see last time I was here. I still have probably only briefly seen ~35-40% of the place, the amount of art there is mind boggling.

One thing different this time was that while the no-camera sign was still posted around the Mona Lisa, people were taking flash photos like crazy and the docent was just sitting there.
? not sure what this one is... :-)
I'm thinking that maybe they put some special glass over it, because it's different that the last time I was here in February.  So I finally got a picture of it, but I still claim it's one of the least impressive things there. I guess I'm just more of a sculpture guy...

After the museum I split off from the work guys and headed back to my hotel. I wasn't supposed to go to work until 2pm the next day when my bosses got into town, so I figured I'd go out exploring for good beer that night. I did some looking on the net and found a place near Notre Dame that had a bunch of Belgium beers on tap. A few metro changes later, and I found myself drinking Chimay on tap and talking to some crazy guy from Morocco. After about 5 glasses I realized that I wasn't drinking 4% pilsner in Germany, but 10% real beer, and things were looking fuzzy.
Scenes from the Louvre

About that time my cell phone rang, and it was my direct boss calling from Phoenix saying that their flight was canceled and they wouldn't be in till the next night, so could I please head in early and start the meetings without them?  DOH!  I quickly said goodbye to my new Moroccan friend and started the trip back to the hotel. I hadn't had any dinner yet and need to use the bathroom, so I decided to stop at the next halfway decent looking restaurant for a bathroom break and some food. The next place I saw turned out to be a very fancy seafood place, but I was desperate at that point so went on in.  The food was very good; I had some oysters and wine to start with, and finished up with a very nice piece of grilled Turbot.

It seemed like a good idea at the time to have seafood, but after waking up this morning feeling rather ill and sleepy at 6am I was having second thoughts.
Scenes from the Louvre
  I took the metro in to the office and was surprised to remember all the right twists and turns needed to find the office after leaving the metro station.  The meetings today went pretty well, but I wasn't very talkative until after lunch when I started to feel human again.

My boss(s) finally got in tonight around 8pm and we headed out for some dinner and a few beers. I had a great meal of pork medallions in a Dijon sauce with some sort of scalloped potato/cheese loaf side. It was one of the best meals I have had on this trip.  We all stopped off at my favorite nightcap place on the way back to the hotel, and here I am trying to catch up on the blog again.

There is a transit strike planned in France tomorrow, so we are going to meet at 7am downstairs to make the 5 mile walk into the office. Hopefully it won't be raining too hard.  :-)
Obelisk on the way to the Louvre