Last Day in India

New Delhi Travel Blog

After seeing Taj Mahal, it was time for us to head back to Delhi to catch our midnight flight back to Singapore. We packed fast, we ate our late breakfast, we bought those Indian movie posters by the road and we were on our 4-hour drive back to Delhi.

The day we arrived in Delhi was a day of some festival where they paraded these giant lanterns that depicts some monster and at the end of the day, they would have to burn it. People from all over Delhi was in all major spots like Qutab Minar, Lotus Temple and other places. We decided not to push ourselves to the crowd  except for the memorial place of Gandhi, and we asked our friend Santosh to just drive us around. This was then when Santosh called his wife that he would be bringing us to his place thus she must prepare some tea for us.

It was a sweet gesture and I felt so honored with that and it was a rare experience to be welcomed in ones home in a foreign place. We were able to meet Santosh's wife and his son and daughter.  With his broken English and sharp wit, Santosh made us feel a part of something special in India, that anytime we decide to go back to India, we have him and his family as our family too.

For the past 5 days, I fell in love with India. There was just endless beauty India can offer. There's no denying that there's ugliness there too because of poverty.  The stories of extreme poverty are told all the time, the trail of diseases, and of neglect is there. But for five days, I was loving every bit of my stay in this country, it's people, it's music, it's culture, the sights and color, it is way far from perfection but the range of emotion one can feel here is wide and extreme. India made me feel more alive and loving life even more.

Andy99 says:
Excellent blog, Apo. Enjoyed your commentary and photos!
Posted on: Dec 26, 2007