Santa Catarina Travel Blog

Every morning, I would get up at 7:00 am (which felt like 6:00… thanks time zones!), and go for a jog on the beach. I love running barefoot on the sand (even though I have those recommended athletic sneakers). When I felt like I couldn’t take a another breath, I rinsed my sandy feet off, slipped my shoes on and walked over to my favorite café in the city’s Centro. I would have a cappuccino and either pao com quejio (warm biscuit like bread with cheese) or, a pastry with some type of fruit filling.

It was at this café, where I heard a few people speaking English (something of a rarity in Santa Catarina). I decided to introduce myself in Portuguese, which had a chorus of approval, and we started speaking English. We hung out the rest of the day, and they asked me if I was up to going to a night club. I, who am never one to turn dancing or drinking down, quickly agreed.

The clubwear is quite different from what I’m accustomed to; in New York City, the dives I hang around are usually composed of hipsters, scenesters, and the like. The long product free hair, tight jeans and baby doll dresses aren’t as common. So, I jumped at the chance of playing dress up. I wore a bright-bold halter top dress with teetering bronze platforms and makeup (a glittery number). Both the women and men have European style: sort of the Diesel, glamorous, magazine cover looks about them.

The music was a nice mix. Mostly, hip-hop and rap, which I love dancing to, then there was some rock like The Killers, Jet, fun stuff to shake your hair around to. The drinks were great and moderately priced (cheap for me… thanks Dollar to Real exchange rate!). Most Brazilians like beer (and man can they put it away). I’m more of a vodka and tequila girl, so I made my roots proud by slamming shots down at the bar and putting a few men to shame in a little, playful contest.

Santa Catarina