AsiaChina

barbecue and drinking...

China Travel Blog

bean curd and vegetable BBQ

It was friday night, before doing anything I’d figured to head down with a few friends to the grill.  This became a well established routine, in fact any good evening started out with a few beers and some barbecue. Personally, I prefer the Islamic places over the Han Chinese. Not only are the Muslims cleaner than the maoists they also have spicier stuff and unlike the atheists they aren’t obsessed with stinking swine.

We sat outside under some palm trees it would have been perfect if it werent for the smell of rotting rubbish, oh well you can't avoid that in this country. The smoke from the grills wafted up to the internet room on the upper floor. The weather was warm and balmy.

By now the waiters had gotten used to my obssesion with ice cold beer, the locals drink it warm, and they brought out the beers and glasses they had chilled in the freezer.

meat sticks..yeah!
.now that's service! The chicken was heavily spiced with cumin and chilli. The mutton was so tender it melted in our mouths..what could be better to have with half frozen beer?

The barbecue in china though has some great ways of preparing  vegetables which I don’t have a problem

with at all. Some ideas are quite unique indeed. The meat is also more white/lean meats so its not an entirely health destroying way to eat, unlike some barbecue styles. Of course they serve tea as well .

The tables were packed with students making rowdy jokes and playing drinking games. I went over to a table to say "hi" to some Korean girls I knew. Another korean fellow was with them and when he recognized me, from the basketball court, he pulled me down to a chair.

He had bought a bottle of Korean spirits from the supermarket across the street and this he slammed on the table with the order "drink".

meatballs, buns, and maize BBQ
 I thought I'd just have a shot to please him but once Koreans start drinking they don't stop until they drop. The 3 girls were also getting real earnest they insisted I take shots with them: fill, "ganbei", drink, refill... This continued round after round they wouldn't let up. One of the girls was getting red as a rose and looked like she was going to collapse, never mind they kept slamming em' down.

I was getting real upset, I hate seeing girls drunk, and I really hate getting outdrunk by a girl. So I started lecturing "you know this isn't right. In Japan or even china girls don't get smashed like this". They thought I was real funny and needed more shots. I was getting very tipsy and desperate " what is it with you koreans anyway!" They kept laughing and kept drinking. I wasn't going to get drunk in front of these girls so I excused myself. When I left they were helping the drunk girl home...