AsiaChina

School daze...

China Travel Blog

PLA Jin

Days passed slowly by with mind-numbing texts on the glories of the PRC. I took every opportunity to question the authenticity of the claims. I don't think I'm argumentative but  I'm not a blind Sinophile. When Wang laoshi would say "China had the largest land empire in history" I would remind her that the Mongols were never Chinese. She'd love to go on about the scores of "minority" groups in China, I would remind them that most of the land mass west and North/ NE was not even China and is annexed countries, she always fumed at that. This didn't make me to popular with Mrs. Wang but  she could never deny my arguments firmly grounded in logic. Like so many others, when faced with these difficult questions in history, culture, or politics instead of choosing rationale she could only say "You know much but you are not Chinese therefore you can not understand these things".

Hail Mao!
I never try to step on patriotic sentiment but the issues I discuss are basic human issues not racial.  I sometimes try to imagine how I would be if I was raised in a communist state. Fortunately I have spent much time in communist and ex-communist countries and have deep experiances in them. I have seen the toll it has taken on the people. It only makes me thankful to God that I didn't have to endure it. The students from the west and Japan were more vocal/had opinions in class the Koreans and SEA didn't peep, they had their noses in their books. The class chose me as Banzhang (class head) I guess because I talk so much. ..