AsiaChina

Old times

China Travel Blog

tacky night streets

It had been years since I’d seen my old mates from Australia but they were still around so I decided to look them up. We met at a beer garden to catch up on old times. It didn't take long before I realized that not much happened since I left. Life was just too easy for young foreign guys in China and that had taken a toll on their motivation. Granted, life can be equally meaningless back home if not more than abroad. The very act of living abroad presents unique experiences but how far you carry them is up to your own initiative.

“ Yeah life was tough back home” I told them in a pathetic tone “ But I made a bit, so hopefully I won’t be back in a while” I added. “Way to go… I mean, really, you can’t have this sort of life back home” I could agree on that, you definitely don’t get the same mileage on your buck back in the 1st world.

tea addict
I told them I was studying Chinese now. “That’s way cool. We’ve been here like, how long? and we don’t speak much at all” they said as they ordered more beers.

They looked as if they were frozen in time. I thought about how I would turn out if I stayed in this life of ease for as long as they did. For me it had been a rude awakening to return to my home country a true reverse-culture shock. The hard life of back home in a bare tatami room, hunger, and cold winters where all I wanted was a little warmth all seemed like a bad dream.

I didn’t relish those experiences but they taught me much, they toughened me for a life of extremes. It showed that quality of life has nothing to do with the economic standing of a nation.

cigarettes and alcohol
You could be even more imprisoned in a “free” land the shackles: mortgages, student loans, oppressive taxes, social pressures etc.. It taught me to cherish freedom above all else. True freedom is the greatest gift from God, not the counterfeit freedom of weekend hedonism and instant gratification but a deep inner peace a joy within. Most of all, it taught me that hardship makes a man.

We went back to their place and played Halo on the playstation, it all seemed so meaningless to me. I didn’t feel was I was learning a thing. It felt as if I had gone back in time to my teenage years. I left the next day at noon they were still not up...