First day in Bangkok

Bangkok Travel Blog

the King and Thai

The Center was fairly large property (for Bangkok) surrounded by a cement wall. I took my bag and was shown my room and bunk in one of the out buildings. The out buildings were 4 adjoining bungalows with bathrooms and two storage sheds and a pantry. There was also an outdoor pantry and patio, an aviary, playground, and basketball court.

Everyone was out playing on the basketball court (it was around 5 p.m.) so I put on a tee shirt and my sports shoes and joined them. Peters’ children, his stepson Ken and his girlfriend Sunny, her dad and brother and sister, and another Thai member made up the little community that lived and worked together. There was also another girl (a friend of the children) visiting and two dogs. The children were burned black from the sun and ran about with flip-flops.

cool house, great pool
I though they were Indians at first and was shocked to find out they were half-breed (look-krueng) Eurasian/amerasian. I said hi to all of them and started taking a few shots.

After a game I went back to the room and took a shower. It was a cold shower as they don’t have hot water tap, Thais take cold showers, something I’d have to get used to. Soon I heard a clanging sound and figured it must be the supper bell so I headed over to the main building.

The main house had two levels with bedrooms, bathrooms, reception, large kitchen, a dining hall, classroom, office, file room, den, and home gym. Supper was a luxurious banquet heavy on the tropical fruit and eaten with a spoon and fork. Kristy was an talkative woman, in fact she talked my ear off at the table. The kids asked me all sorts of questions "where are your parents from?" "why aren't eyes like slits?" "why aren't you dark?". I tried to answer them as best as I could and as usual I slipped in a lot of non-sense and tall tales which always fascinates credulous children. Peter’s boy Jaime and I went out to the patio to play ping-pong after supper. I got him to teach me the numbers in Thai. Instead of the usual P.I.N.G we did nueng, song, sam…

Finally I got back to my room turned on the fan and lay back on the steel bunk. My roommate was a Thai man I called Tim. I asked him a lot of questions he looked annoyed so I soon stopped. I stared at a gecko stalking a daddy-long-legs across the ceiling and drifted off.

Bangkok