My Street: Carsadang Bago

Imus Travel Blog

Carsadang Bago which can be translated as "New Street" in English.  Apparently, this street just used to be a stretch of farmland that joins the other streets (Medicion to the north and Bucandala and some street that starts with the letter A).  My elementary school had this wall painting narrating the story of the origin of our street, but it's been 10 years, so I don't remember anymore.  (Wow this journal entry suck and has no coherence whatsoever, which is okay because I have no dreams of being a writer).

Anyway, Carsadang Bago is probably a mile and a half in length.  It is divided into the north and the south, appropriately referred to as silangan and kanluran.  There's a captain (kapitan) for each of the areas.  I grew up in the middle of the northern part.

My family (in my mother's side) had been living here for at least four generations (that's as far back as I know).  They may have lived thereIn fact, some of my grandfathers' siblings' families live right next to us and another siblings' families live on the northern part of the street.

The streets in the Philippines are not like its American suburban counterparts.  There are no lawns and there are multiple houses in one lot.  I guess you can call it more of a compound.  In my grandparent's lot (which they bought from my great-grandparents around 1940), there are 5 households: the families of 2 of my aunts, 2 of my uncles and mine!  3 of my other aunts and uncle live in a subdivision of Carsadang Bago (about 2 minutes away) and the other 2 now reside in California.

As you can tell, it was pretty crazy, but the houses were pretty roomy (at least 2 rooms).  Before there were more plants in the eastern part of our compound.  Additionaly, there used to be an opening into our neighbor's farm (who happens to be my mom's cousin), but it has since been closed off.  There used to be room in the back where they burned their trash in a siga (burning trash is still common in the Philippines) and had cages for pigeons and doves (pets in the Philippines) and chicken.

My favorite activity was sitting on the back wall and meditating (yeah, I know cheesy), but I was so bored out of mind and I often did this in the midday when people took their naps (like Spanish siestas).  The view was so beautiful because there was a farm where they grew rice.  The back wall is also connected to the boundary wall of the elementary school.  When I was younger, up until around my fourth grade I could just cross the wall and go to the back of the school, but it has since been populated by tall grasses.

Not so much now, but when I was younger my mother knew almost everyone who lived in our street because generations of families have lived there.

There's so many more stories to tell... to be continued!

melizzle says:
I speak Tagalog, and some obscene words in another dialect. It is really weird though because I think if I went in another area, in the Southern part for example I may not be able to understand them at all. My mom travelled in the Philippines a lot before she was marriend and she could understand 3-4 dialects.
Posted on: Jun 05, 2006
vances says:
Well this was a pleasant treat. I will certainly keep on the lookout for updates!

Safe to assume you know a Filipino dialect in addition to English? My friend there speaks Tagalog and her husband is fluent in three...I was impressed by this multiple language aspect.
Posted on: Jun 04, 2006