Spring Break Moroccan Style Or Where's Lisa?

Morocco Travel Blog

We said goodbye to our camels and boarded the van for a five hour journey to the High Atlas Mountains and the small village outside the Tondra Gorge that would be our home for the next two days.  Yeah.  Laundry!  As we travelled into higher elevation it definitely became cooler so I was glad to have purchased my Moroccan "fleece" earlier in the trip.  The twisty roads also caused some white knuckled riding, especially when it became apparent that our van was having some mechanical issues.  Jamal having to stop to pour water into the engine every so often made us wonder if we were going to make it to our next destination.  At one point at a photo stop (where we were besieged by mineral salesmen") we discovered that the van wouldn't start unless it first got some momentum, ala, Little Miss Sunshine style.

The Kasbah boys

But make it too our next destination we did.  Little did we know it would turn into two nights of berber drumming, singing, flirting, dance offs with another Intrepid group.  Oh, and drinking.  Lots and lots of drinking.  Oh, and search parties. But more on that later.

Upon arrival to our latest "kasbah", Lisa and I thought it would be grand to have a dip in the pool.  Holy hell, was that water freezing!  It was a very quick dip for me.  Then it was a nap before dinner.  Fully refreshed, I joined Mara and some others in the dining room for a game of Phase 10 (think of a longer version of UNO) but the game was put on hold for dinner....which consisted of, yes you guessed, more tagines, salads, bread.

Let the dance party begin

After dinner the party really took off.  We challenged Team Chris (the Intrepid group travelling one day ahead of us) to a dance off once the boys from the Kasbah brought out the drums.  Mmm, we were all in fine form.  Poor Mara and Lisa, both of whom retired early, must have had a heck of a time trying to sleep.  And this leads me to one of the best stories from trip.  Where's Lisa?  How to begin.  Well, around 2am I heard a bit of a ruckus in the atrium area where our rooms were located.  (I had turned in around midnight or so).  Of course I got up to investigate and found Wesley, Mel, Siva, Nindhi and Carolyn all looking a bit frantic.  "Is Lisa is your room?" they asked.  Apparently, she wasn't in her room either and Mel, her roomie was worried.

So we knocked on doors, looked under beds (which gave absolutely no room for anyone to go so why we looked, I have no clue. Drunkedness.) Checked the pool area. Woke up Richard. Even checked the roofs.  Heck we even wondered if Jamal our driver seduced her into his room! (I conveniently skipped over that story when he tried to get me to his room!).  Finally we thought we'd better bring in Erin and the Kasbah boys for a search party.  Finally, Lisa emerges quite dissheveled from a different room wondering what all the frickin' fuss was about!  Poor girl wasn't feeling well so found another room away from all the crazy drumming and singing going on right under her assigned room.  Mara just thought we were all crazy and rolled over and went back to sleep.