Lolling, etc. on the Beach

Maui Travel Blog

Regardless of the island I'm on, my all-time favorite Hawaiian activity is lollygagging on the beach (isn't it everyone's?).  I know, I know -- my credibility just plummeted due to my use of the word 'lollygag,' but hey, I'm from the South, so cut me some slack!

Some of my favorite beaches on Maui are those found in Kihei, which is equidistant from Kapalua and Lahaina.  In fact, we stopped off on our way from the Ritz to Lahaina, and worked in a good session of sundrenched dillydallying.  There's a great ecotours company in Kihei, and I'd recommend checking them out before you head to the beach.  They can set you up with snorkeling equipment, and also arrange kayaks if you're so inclined.   The latter, of course, is antithetical to idle shillyshallying, which is what I'm all about at the moment.

On the other side of the island is Paia, a quaint little down that's a nice change of pace from the more touristy parts of the island.  Think 'artsy,' but not in a hoidy-toidy way; more in a 'catch-a-whiff-of-marijuana-while-you-stroll-down-the-sidewalk' way.   It's really delightful -- within ten minutes of our arrival, we were accosted by someone offering to braid our hair (mine is only a half-inch long), or even give us tattoos if we wanted.  And yes, there's a beach for dawdling in the sun, and you can do it in the buff too, 'cuz it's of the nude variety!  After you're through working on your tan, do yourself a favor and have dinner at Mama's.  It doesn't get any more authentic and 'real.'

On a serious note, be careful when you're swimming in the oceans off Maui, particularly those on the western side of the island.  I'm a pretty experienced swimmer, but I've never encountered surf and undertow like this.  The roughness of the sea will give you a nice workout after your day of. . . . alright, I won't say it again.  : -)

Maui