end of summer

Tortola Travel Blog

thats me in the bilge
Technically I am located right now in Peter Island, but oh well.  So I know it's been a while since I last wrote, but I need to start getting in the habit again for my new blog this fall.  More on that later.  I think I last wrote at the end of second session.  Third session was challenging, mainly because everyone's energy and patience levels are lowered and I had a boat of 13 year olds, but I ended up really enjoying it.  I've always liked third session.  I really enjoyed being a 13 year old again, and even though I yelled far more this session, I also laughed far more.  They were a great boat.  Luckily, no scary medical emergencies, I didn't even have to go to the clinic once!  After a few days of breaking down program gear and heavy partying, I went with Ocean Star to the mooring at Peter Island to help watch her for a couple weeks.
yup, a little dirty
  So I've been busy doing some boat projects, mainly up until today sanding.  Right now it's Jay, Eliot, and myself onboard and it's a ton of fun.  Peter Island is so beautiful and the weather has been great.  We work in the day and cook meals and watch movies, etc.  I've forgotten how fun it is to live on Ocean Star and this has been a great reminder.  Today, however, didn't exactly rank high on the fun scale.  Ok, I admit it wasn't as bad as I thought, and I did quite enjoy myself during most of the process, but I'm not sure my hair is going to recover any time soon!  Today I cleaned and painted Ocean Star's main engine room bilge.  This involved squeezing into an extremely tight space, washing with soap and water, vacuuming out said soap and water, repeating about 10 times, and then painting this space.
pre- jumping in
  Did I mention it's really small?  I was down there at least two hours, with Eliot and Jay handing me things from above and shining the flashlight and stuff.  The only real problem was how to paint while I was still in there, how to get out with it painted, and then how to get the paint off of me.  I painted all around me, Jay pulled me up by the arms out of the hole, and then they made a path out of towels for me to walk on deck and I jumped overboard.  However we figured out after I jumped in that the water doesn't get the paint off, you need acetone to do that.  So there I am treading water, still covered in paint, with no way to get back on board.  Eventually they put towels on the side of the boat and pulled me out, and I spent the next two hours cleaning the paint off of me.  I've washed my hair at least 8 times, and I still have clumps of paint in it everywhere.  Oh well.  Now it's back to sanding!
SBaccarella says:
Anna,
That's hilarious. I laughed A LOT! Thanks for that :-)

And tell Jay- fantastic job on the photos!
Posted on: Aug 30, 2006