EuropeTurkeyTroy

Troy - poetry and rubbles

Troy Travel Blog

Ferry to from European to Asian Turkey

Leaving the area around Gallipoli I got to the ferry - to gross the narrow straight at the Dardanelles which separates Europe and Asia. When I got to the ferry there it was Asia in the distance. To the surprise of many of my friends and people I know this would actually be the first time ever I went to Asia - not counting the stops in the airports of Bangkok, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Everybody seems to assume if you have travelled abroad more than a couple of times you must have been to Asia somewhere along the way but no in my case.

Safely across the ferry in Asia in the land of so many old myth of strange people and strange cultures - but it did actually look quite a lot like the European side of Turkey - both the people, the landscape and the cities were more or less the same. After all it is a small fairly integrated world.

Trojan horse - a replica

When safely in Asia it was on to see one special sight - the ancient city of Troy.

Troy - few ancient cities names sound more familiar than this one. The name well known to almost everyone thanks to Hollywood who has retold the ancient stories of Troy. The original reason Troy got its fame is due to the epic work Iliad by Homer in ancient Greece. This story with the figures of Achilles, Hector, Paris and Helen was part of the classes of ancient history in high school. Hence when I was 17-18 I read the story of Troy with great enthusiasm - yeah right I read it because I kind of had to if I wanted a semi decent grade in the class.

more old stuff in Troja
Before the trips I wanted to pick up a copy in the bookshop to actually reread the story during my trip but as usual I did not make it to the bookshop in time and they are not selling the Iliad in the airport.

The reason I went to Troy were Homer - without his stories nobody would go there. Then what is around at the ancient sight? The answer - not much. There are a few leftovers from the old city but most of it has been levelled to the ground many years ago. Hence what is there is primarily rubbles and a small not to interesting museum - and the main sight of the place a replica of the Trojan horse.

Do I have any regrets about going? No a place so famous you kind of have to go just to see it for yourself - then you can draw your conclusion that there is really nothing to see around there. If I had just pasted Troy because everybody told there was nothing there would always have been a bit of doubt in the back of my mind - were they really right is there nothing there?

After Troy it is on to Selcuk in a hotel with a very nice pool.

ms_travelr says:
Just the fact that there is so much history behind the name..Troy. Pretty interesting.
Posted on: Dec 23, 2008
newtampo says:
You're right. As people said to me, don't go to Calcutta but i did. Just wanted to see the reason of 'why not?' with my own eyes. :)

Posted on: Nov 17, 2007
rintjez says:
The replica of Torjan Horse reminds me of the Troy movie. Sorry you didn't see much there, but I think it is still cool that you were there.
Posted on: Nov 14, 2007
Ferry to from European to Asian Tu…
Ferry to from European to Asian T…
Old stuf at Troja
Old stuf at Troja
Old ruins from Troja
Old ruins from Troja
More ruins in Troja
More ruins in Troja
Troy Sights & Attractions review
Troy - old rubbles
When you go to Turkey you will find a country with lots and lots of marble - supposedly there is more marble in Turkey than any other country on earth… read entire review
Troy