Egyptian museum

Cairo Travel Blog

The mighty Nile river flowing through Cairo

Driving on the overnight train from Luxor to Cairo they had turned the air con on. During the day this is clearly a necessity to keep people just semi comfortable on the train. But at night with the air con on the temperature drops – and the train is cold. So cold that I had to grab my sleeping back at some stage during the night to keep warm. This caused a bit of a problem I was told next stop Giza stain where I had to get of – I thought the train would be at the station within a minute – and I had to try to make my way out of the sleeping back still half asleep and pack it up so I could get out of the train.

It turned out ok getting my stuff together the train weren’t really all that close to the station hence I had several minutes to get organized.

From the train I went to my hotel and grabbed some breakfast in the process – after breakfast I went to the Egyptian museum in Cairo. They have the best collection of old Egyptian artefacts in the world.

The museum is old in the central part of Cairo and they are about to build a new bigger and more modern museum. The collection in the museum is big with all kind of stuff like statues, coffins and so forth. But there is one very important thing missing in the museum – air con. If I should be able to really enjoy it this is a necessity. The most famous rooms in the museum is the Tutankhamen room with a display of the sarcofecas he were buried in and in a small special room there is the gold mask and all the gold found in his grave.

The view from my hotel room
This is by far the most interesting part of the museum – and the room got one added bonus – it got air con which means the temperature is not the 40 degrees like it is in the rest of the museum. The two other main rooms is the collection of old mummies including the mummy of Ramses II. The mummy room got air con as well which meant I spend somewhat more time in there than necessary to see the mummies – but just standing under the air con were really refreshing.

After leaving the mummies room I soon lost interest in the rest of the museum – it was simply too hot for me to be walking around in a museum. I left and got back to the hotel – now with my room ready and a nice shower inside. You got to have your priorities hence first a shower then of and wander a bit around Cairo.

The mighty Nile river flowing thro…
The mighty Nile river flowing thr…
photo by: vulindlela