Diving the Red Sea

Dahab Travel Blog

Dahab has somehow managed to escape mass tourism until now hence it is a fairly small place without the big hotels you will find elsewhere in Egypt.

I get ready for one of the main things I have been looking forward to do in Egypt - dive the Red Sea. I have heard many good stories about the visibility of the water being amazing because no rivers flow into the Red Sea - the coral and fish living should be among the best in the world as well.

I find a dive shop to go out with - it is fairly cheap even though they decide to charge me an extra 10 US$ for a refresher course because I have not dived in more than 6 month - rip off. Well we get the gear on and starts to move a small pack of divers down on the main street of Dahab to go diving right of the beach. I get in. And this is a disappointment the water is not super clear the visibility is medium at best. The fish life is ok - but the corals is in a sorry state lots of dead ones all over the place. It is always nice to breath underwater but this was not one of those dives I will remember for too long - nothing like what I expected.

After the dive it is time for lunch - there are lots of small restaurants along the shore in Dahab. They all got menus outside were they state a price - but the price is negotiable. Apparently in Egypt the price of menus is only an opening offer then you can negotiate the price. You ask the man if you can get 15 percent of the price if he says yes quickly you ad that next door you were offered a free starter and desert - and you would like this too in his place - along with a cup of tea naturally. He will still say yes and then you can eat.

sylviandavid says:
good tip on negotiating prices.....
Posted on: Nov 26, 2007