Colonia, Uruguay

Colonia del Sacramento Travel Blog

This past weekend we took a short trip to Colonia, Uruguay.  It was a short ferry ride (about 1.5 hrs) on the Buquebus across the river to reach the peninsula where Colonia is located.  The city is very small and quaint and lacks the stressed out and faced pace feeling of a city like Buenos Aires.  The culture of the city was very historical and profound.  I also noticed more people enjoying their mate in public in Colonia than in Buenos Aires, Mendoza or el Tigre.  Colonia also had an influx of canines but lacked the "remnants" that are scattered all over Buenos Aires.  In fact, overall Colonia was very clean and pollution free compared to all the cities I have traveled to.  The city has a rich history with strong influences from both the Spanish and Portuguese.  We were able to tour around the whole city and were able to see the bull fighting coliseum that now lies in ruins.  It was built in 1910 and closed in 1912 after the president of Uruguay was elected he banned the sport.  I also saw the historic red light district, the first in Uruguay, and how many of the buildings have been transformed into museums.  Our guide also pointed out the 7 islands of Uruguay that can be seen from the point of the peninsula.  We stayed at the Hotel Italiano that was a peaceful and elegant accommodation that was walking distance from the many restaurants and shops down town.  A few of us also rented atvĀ“s and bicycles to ride around the old cobblestone streets of Colonia.  It was a nice ride where many other tourists and locals shared the streets with cars.  Overall, it was a very enjoyable weekend that has left a very positive impression on me about what tiny Uruguay has to offer.