El Tigre

El Tigre Travel Blog

Last Thursday a group of us took a trip to el Tigre from Buenos Aires.  The train ride was enjoyable and it merely a 45 minute ride through parts of the country we had not seen yet.  It was also interesting to see how their train stations were organized and how they worked.  Next, we took the coast train from Mitre to el Tigre.  This train was much more "touristy" and at every stop there were shops, restaraunts, etc.  This is where I first realized how polluted the air in Buenos Aires is because once you got away from the city it was much cleaner.  This seemed to be the case until we arrived in the city on the water, el Tigre.  The air there was still much better than in Buenos Aires, but what el Tigre lacked in polluted air, they made up for it in polluted water.  The river was grey and there were tires, bottles and other trash lining the edges of it.  We took a boat ride around the city that was pleasant but it did allow us to gain a perspective on the extent of the pollution.  Also, we witnessed many spray painted grafitti signs stating how the river needs to be cleaned up and polluting it needs to stop.  So, apparently at least some locals shared our negative sentiments over the quality of the el Tigre River.  I personally still enjoyed our brief exit of the city but, I still was a little disappointed with the pollution of the river.  The city, the people and the activities there were very much worth seeing and I am glad that we went.  It is a shame that the river is in that poor condition because it would be a top place to visit otherwise.

El Tigre