Bummed out by the Ambassador Hotel in Victorville, CA

Victorville Travel Blog

Ambassador Hotel, Victorville, CA

Dragging myself out of Oceanside and on the way back to San Jose. Have to stop overnight and I was no mood to wade my way through crowds for something as simple as dinner. Decided to camp at Victorville. Sometimes, you want to be careful what you wish for.  I got off Interstate 15 to Palmdale Road exit and turned into the parking lot of the Ambassador Hotel. It was late in the evening, the landscape barren and depressingly desolate, with no sign of a living being anywhere in sight.

Compared to my stays at other California hotels, the Victorville Ambassador was a totally different species. Hotels are meant for visitors. In short, people who passing through and need temporary shelter and some relief from the rigors of traveling. One would think that would include some politeness to guests, decor relaxing on the eyes, efficient room service and a room with at least the basics necessary to enjoy some rest. Apparently, the Ambassador's concept of a hotel is quite different, and they seem to operate under the presumption that if anyone were to be stupid enough to wander in off the desert, they should be punished for it - Guantonamo style.

No doubt the whole structure had seen better days, and the lobby was falling apart. Desk clerk seemed to be absolutely uninterested until I spoke up. Room could certainly use some fresh air, bed was nothing which would make it into a mattress advert and the television was on the blink. What is an insomniac supposed to do at 11.00 p.m. in the middle of a Californian desert, with a rotten bed, smelly room, no television and no internet access? You tell me....I couldn't take it anymore and instead of ordering room service, I decide to go out for dinner to try and clear the fog of depression and irritation swirling in my head.

You know, the thing about a good hotel is that they make people feel comfortable and valued, whatever the amneties, or lack thereof. You're already stressed out and combative, and all you want is for someone to smile and give you what you want without putting an obstacle course in your path. The frigging elevator refused to come up and I had to climb down the stairs to the lounge. Made my way to a Mexican restaurant called Alfredo's which was a big improvement over the Ambassador.

Tomorrow morning, I'll be visiting the Green Tree Golf Course, the Victor Bowl and an art gallery. Victorville and tourists don't seem to have too much in common. You can play golf or play golf, or if you want, even play golf...

photo by: silan