Roaming around Cambridge...

Cambridge Travel Blog

King's College

My second day in Cambridge didn't really begin very well. I couldn't sleep one bit. Note, I'm not the fussy type. Staying in hostels as part of your holidays abroad, you learn not to be so fussy. Having said that, last night was really terrible. The beds were creaky, too many people, no safe deposit area, no personal place for you to even keep your alarm clock and wallet... it was very discomforting.

Breakfast was the only good thing. Again, nowhere as good as York's or Mchester's, or what I'd be seeing later in London but nice and filling all the same. This hostel seems to attract some of the weirdest people, I'll tell you.

St.Kings Chapel
The breakfast room got so crowded and so noisy within 10 minutes of its opening.

I started off by buying punting tickets @ the reception, and headed to the centre at the back of King's College. They didn't have a tour starting till 10:45am so they asked me to come back. I took the chance to walk the campuses. The biggest disappointment for me (which thanks to Tripadvisor, I already knew) was that the colleges were closed because of exams. So the best I could do was walk in front and back of the buildings. But trust me, the place is so beautiful that itself is a delight. Only I wish I could've gone in! Claire's College was a delight - it's small but got a lovely garden. And it was open so I spent some time in the quadrangle. I saw the Library as well. Looked grand. The city is so green and seems so quiet you'd know it's a University town.

by the River Cam

I headed back to the punting centre. There was a friendly German family also going on the same punt as me (I  initially thought it was mum - dad - son - daugther but turns out it's mum - dad - 2nd son and 1st son's gf, all 4 of them visiting the 1st son who's learning English in Cambridge). They were really friendly, we got to talk about Texas, their life in Germany, etc.

The punt was worth every penny. The last time I went on a punt was in Christchurch (my first punt), and no mistake it was good but Cambridge punting is so much more interesting than C'ch. Our punt-er was this cool bloke from South Africa. He did a great job of telling us the history of Cambridge, even how the name came. We passed through the "Bridge of Sighs". Oh, and he let me punt as well! I did a fairly ok job...but punting and posing for a pic simultaneously is a very strenous thing, you see! <g>

It was about 1pm and I thought I'd better be going. I know there's still a LOT left to see, but I thought I'd save it and come back at a time when schools are open so that I can spend quality time here. Went back to the hostel, picked my things up and lucky for me, not only is the station 5 mins away but no sooner did I get there than did an express nonstop train to King's Cross come. I was so tired and bored I slept. I've obviously slept so much that when I woke, everyone was alighting. So much for my building up the excitement to London... London had already come!

Kings College