Manchester...or Borechester???

Manchester Travel Blog

business as usual on a Friday morning

My second day in Manchester... funny I woke up thinking "what, WHAT do  I do today?" as I wasn't too impressed with what I saw the previous day... oh well! Let me start by saying that breakfast (included) in the YHA is magnificent - enough to keep my motors running till the afternoon.

It was drizzling a bit, not that I minded. I went for a walk around the city centre - went to China Town which, well, frankly is like another Chinatown I've seen with the SFO one being the best IMHO. I briefly went into the Manchester Art Gallery. It was hilarious, there was this lovely polite lady showing me the floor plan is and all I could think of is "where's the Gents?". Went for a minute into TK Maxx to see if there was any FIFA related stuff I'd want to buy but didn't find anything good.

Town Hall centre
I continued my walk till Pic station and quite enjoyed it. It's always nice seeing people on the street in England, although I must say that the city lacks the buzz of London for some reason.

From Pic station, I caught the Metro to Old Trafford Square. This was one place I'd wanted to see from so long ago. I'll have to go the touristy way and say Beckham put it on the map but no, I've been a Man Utd fan from a fair few years even before Mr.Posh Spice came into the mix. The first stop (from outside) was the cricket club. It was quite funny seeing billboards all over town with Andrew Flintoff posing in bowling position!

The walk upto the football stadium was a nice colourful one. Shame it was closed and the museum was expensive.

Chinatown
But the megastore was massive, I bought a cheesy mug with the Man U emblem. I really wish I'd gone for a tour at least. It was really nice to look at the place and say "so this is where Neville plays". I'd have loved to see a match too...but oh WELL! Some things require too much planning and that was one thing I was trying to get out of , on this trip. Rather, just take each day as it comes. The megastore was good. A big one. There were lots of Japanese tourists. Easy to ask someone to get me next to the legendary emblem!

Headed back to the city around 3pm with a stop for a mango smoothie at M&S. I went to the Museum of Science and Industry that was a stop away from my hostel. I didn't find it that interesting but that's because I'm not into that.

Dinner was at the expensive yet ultra tasty Jowata African Rstnt. See below for a detailed review.

Went back to the hostel in the drizzle, enjoyed every bit of it. I had a German roommate for that night who, like me was also an aeroplane enthusiast. So we had quite a bit to talk about! Had good sleep that night. Two nights's worth infact!

business as usual on a Friday morn…
business as usual on a Friday mor…
Old Trafford cricket club
at the Man Utd megastore
at the Man Utd megastore
Entrance to rsnt and museum
Entrance to rsnt and museum
The rsnt has seats with numbers an…
The rsnt has seats with numbers a…
Dinner at Jowata, African rstnt
Dinner at Jowata, African rstnt
Manchester Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Nice spicy food in a homely setting!
I had dinner here one night, at the rather expensive yet ultra tasty Jowata African Rstnt. The owner is Nigerian and whilst waiting for your meal t… read entire review
Manchester