Free day in London!

London Travel Blog

Natural History Museum

My first day in London seemed to be beginning well. If we're not counting the dreadful queue for breakfast that is. I was keen on spending some time in the museums this time and being so close to Kensington, or rather, in Kensington, it seemed perfect for me. My play that evening was only at 7pm so the rest of the day was going to be just wandering around the city.

It was cold and wet. Not sthg I was disappointed by of course, I love the whole London wetness. Headed for a minute to the Natural History museum and I'm sure it's lovely, but given the amount of time I had, I wanted to instead head to the Victoria and Albert Museum and spend some time there. My, it's lovely. I love how museums in London are so well maintained, so well stocked and most of all, FREE! I didn't want to do the whole V&A museum but spend some time at the Nehru Gallery.

It was lovely, so well laid out and detailed. Being South Indian, I loved the Tippu exhibits including that tiger-killing-the-soldier exhibit that's actually a musical instrument. Very impressive!

I met this really nice Japanese girl (and her mum) in the courtyard of the museum. She was meeting up with her boyf who was flying from SFO. It was nice talking to them. She was a 1st timer to Scotland so I was telling her of places she could go to, and generally discussing about travelling. She agreed with me too that the UK is one of the better places she's been to.

From here, I headed to my favourite place in London - Covent Garden!

I love this place, it's the friendliest cosiest place. I always make it a point to come here and I suprise myself at how well I know the place now.

inside the Museum
I went for a stroll on the streets, St.Neal's Yard, window shopping and had lunch at the much talked about Food For Thought. Food really is nothing fancy but it's vegetarian, it's fairly spicy and huge quantities for the 5 odd quid that they charge. The food is healthy, complete with brown rice. And seeing as it's self service you don't really have to wait. So overall I'm not complaining despite the crowded basement.

I hung around Covent Garden till about 3pm or so when I headed on an impulse to the London Dungeon. My, the queue is LONG! But once I got in, it was so worth it. I'm usually not one to fall for cheesy touristy spots but I highly recommend the London Dungeon to people of all ages. It's worth the 2 odd hours you spend with really witty and lively guides.

Victoria and Albert Museum
And surprisingly I remembered the history point of view as well despite being portrayed in such a funny way. My favourite was the part where they usher us and make us sit in the dentist's room. That was fun!

From here, I headed to Pic Circus for the "Les Misersables" play with a quick stopover at McDs for dinner. The play I thought was ok. Not as good or lively as "Blood Brothers" but remarkable all the same. The only gripe I have is with lastminute.com. I was specifically told I'd get a seat in the lower stalls but I ended up getting a bad one  at the top most. Rip off! I couldn't hear very well. But the fantastic performances of the entire starcast more than just made up for it. However, for those who've never seen Les Miz before, I'd strongly advise you to see the movie first so that you know what it's about.

The play I thought was a bit too fast and if you're not familiar with the plot can easily get confused.

Seeing Pic Circus at night is always a DELIGHT. Those bright lights, white buildings, the double deckers going empty and lots of disco and club crowd, all too fabulous! My walk back to the hostel was lovely as usual. Gosh! I love London. Like totally completely absolutely. It's a city made for the independent traveller. A few hours in the city and you feel you can claim it. Everything's so easy to navigate.

London Dungeon