The Canterbury Pilgrim

Canterbury Travel Blog

Entrance to the Cathedral

Say the word Canterbury and the first thing that comes to mind is Canterbury Tales. Say Canterbury Tales and the next thing that comes to mind is that BBC production that stars the awful Billie Piper....but oh well!

The Astral Travel's Pilgrims' Tour was well designed with Dover and our next stop Canterbury as part of the package. I was obviously all excited about seeing the Cathedral. After all this has been a pilgrim's stop for over 600 years. We arrived there a little before noon, the tickets were all arranged and Chris said we could hang around the town but meet him at the designated spot after 2 hours. We were free to do whatever we want. The one consistent thing about the crowd in Astral Travels is that they're always unfriendly.

You rarely have anyone that smiles, let alone socialise. I just let it work to my benefit - I could do whatever I want on my own!

The Cathedral as such is lovely, I just wish I hadn't seen the York Minster the previous day! We spent roughly about 1.5 hrs in the Cathedral. It was lovely although unlike York Minster, there isn't a 'one favourite' spot of mine.

Lunch was the the famed (and supposedly haunted) The Old Buttermarket which was right across the Cathedral entrance. I had a goat cheese quiche, very tasty with a Guiness. We all reconvened around 2pm to head to Leeds Castle. I liked Canterbury although I don't think I'd have wanted to spend a day here. But then again, I got back and pulled out my Frommers' book... there's quite a bit I've missed.

BTW, do visit the cricket field that has a tree growing in the middle of it! If a batsman hits the tree, it's considered a 4!

sdbleve says:
Billie Piper...I never saw her in Canterbury Tales...but she did a great job the past 2 years in Dr. Who :)
Posted on: Nov 21, 2006
Archbishop of Canterbury
Archbishop of Canterbury
at the gardens in the backyard
at the gardens in the backyard
City centre right next to the cath…
City centre right next to the cat…
random pic