EuropeSpainSella

Climbing in Sella

Sella Travel Blog

Tamar Securing

In Sella one of our dreams came through: Tamar and me went climbing. Real rock climbing, outside, not indoor as before. We were thrilled! No we are not experienced climbers, far from it. The hosts of our B&B Villa Pico arranged an experienced climber for us. Their neighbour, Terry Gifford, was willing to teach us. Terry Gifford, climber and poet, lives in Sella for many years and wrote the wonderful book The Joy of Climbing. So yes...this man is experienced and we felt safe with him guiding us. And man, it was a wonderful experience.
Terry took us to Sector Final in Sella. Rockfax calls it a compact buttress of corners and crack lines with great routes in the 6a+ to 6c range..

Terry leading
.WTF??? Nah, just kiddin´. La verguenza is a 3 and 3+ and perfect for beginners. Terry chose well. We had a wonderfull afternoon. Although it was october, the sun was burning. Terry, who climbs all his life or so it seems, took all the time and had all the patience we needed. His equipment was neat and he provided us with what we needed. Even the climbing shoes. The experience of being high on that rock and knowing there is just one way back can be terrifying. There was one moment it really took me and I stood frozen on an edge, not knowing which way to grab or feel for a stronghold. And I was not even that high, really. I believe the highest point was about 18 m. Allright, I know, it´s a long drop if you´re not secured but still, it´s hardly the K2!

Tamar was doing great. She climbed like she´s doing everything. Serious, with concentration and joy. We both did the route three times and gave the route next to it  another try.

We booked again for Sella in May 2008. I truely hope Terry will be there to guide us again.

Tamar climbing