Nice, but didn´t stay long

Sucre Travel Blog

I arrived in Sucre early a.m. I found a hostal and was told that I could crash in this one big dorm room until a private room was available. I kept asking to be moved, but that kept telling me it was no problem and that no one else would be in the room. Of course not. The whole hostal was being torn up and renovated. I couldn´t believe I crashed until mid-day. I got up and wandered the city a bit. I didn´t do much. I wanted to see the area, but I was so exhausted and was still feeling ill. I wasn´t able to sleep on the night bus. I sat next to a fat lady who took up half my seat. She was really nice though. I really can´t understand the accents of Bolivians. Mostly, they have this accent that sounds like they are speaking Quechua. It´s Spanish, just sounds really different. We conversed a bit, but I was starting to feel really bad and just wanted to sleep.

Sucre was crowded, but a really nice city. The pollution is just a problem for me. The room I was in was right on the main street my window was right above a bus stop. The bus drivers were constantly screaming for passengers and the wafting from poorly maintained buses roze to the room. The room was filled with smoke the whole time.

Saw travelers there, I was surprised. Quite a few I saw in Cochabumba and two chics I saw from Villa Tunari. Everyone was scrambling to find ways around all the blockades. I understand a lot of people where flying to Yuni to the salt flats. I really thought about it. I had a couple of options, but it really wasn´t worth it to fly there and then pay a butt load to be taken for three days in a jeep. Although the salt flats is one of the major reasons I came here. Oh well. I´ll see plenty of other amazing things. It isn´t worth getting stuck with now way down to AR. There isn´t a road from Yuni to Villazon at the border.

In Sucre there are loads of lawyer offices. Rightly so as Sucre is still the judicial capital of Bolivia and was the original capital upon its liberation from the Spanish. Bolivia took the name after Simon Bolivar and Sucre, from General Sucre who fought for independence. One thing I noticed about Cochabumba was the sheer number of stores selling military fatigues and equipment. There were tons of them. Not sure if military style was a fashion trend or what. It wasn´t like these were military supply stores, it was more like it was fad. Even womens clothing and accessories where military style. It was very strange.

Although I wanted to stay in Sucre for a bit, it was still much too large a city and I was really needing to get away to something a little more quite.

Sucre