How it began....

Orlando Travel Blog

Around this time last year I began feeling that I needed to become clear on my direction. In my heart, I knew what it looked like, but wasn't sure what it was. By the time January came around, I began my search on sustainable community development and began seeing this word called 'permaculture'. After reading up on it and looking at the different courses and institutes in Permaculture Design, I knew that I had to take the course. To be honest, I didn't really envision myself gardening or farming. But, what I did know was that my life was taking a new direction very soon and that I needed to accomplish a few things to lay the framework for the journey that was about to begin.

By February, I was very clear that I had to take the certification course in Permaculture Design and also take the certification course in herbalism. In June, I journeyed to Carbondale, Colorado to take the course at Sustainable Settings. The course was taught by the renown instructor, Scott Pittman. During this course I found what I have been looking for all this time. The bedrock of building sustainable communities... Completely sustainable - not the capitalist quasi- bullshit sustainability that is taught in Universities that teach students to use the word sustainability while continuing to use the capitalist economic system. This sustainability is very different.

While at the course, I met someone who showed me one way to get certified to teach English as a second language while still working and living in Orlando. I knew what my next steps were supposed to be. When I returned, I signed up for the course in Basic Herbalism through Florida School of Herbal Studies and signed up throught Oxford Seminars to take the TESOL course. This would be my way into the countries where I want to travel.

My goal..... To live in South/Central America for three years learning permaculture design and urban agriculture techniques and become fluent in Spanish. After 3-4 years, I will journey back to the Middle East to continue building my expertise in sustainable systems and become fluent in Arabic.

In December, I land in Colombia where I will meet several groups and individuals who are using permaculture design in several sustainable projects.

I love my friends dearly and will miss them all terribly. I feel I have come to Orlando to accomplish something. Whatever it was, I did it and now feel ready to continue my journey and reach a newer and higher sense of self-awareness and discovery.
poorogies says:
Fantastic!!! I wish you the very best!
Posted on: Jan 29, 2009
jenn79 says:
I love this introduction!! I can't wait to continue to read your blogs to see if you stil view sustainability and capitalism to be in contradiction. Kudos on your adventure!
Posted on: Jan 28, 2009