Pompeii

Pompeii Travel Blog

The next day we were up early for a very exciting trip for me and Martin we were going to Pompeii. But first we had to get there. We missed the train and spent a few hours hanging around the train station waiting for the next one. We got to Naples then jumped on the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento where we were staying. Our first view of Vesuvius was very exciting it was very impressive. We got to Sorrento an absolutely beautiful resort an hour away from Pompeii. We got the train up to our campsite where we were booked into a cabin and collapsed. The heat is really taking it out of us but when we got further north it wasn't as bad apart from Florence which was just nuts.We had pizza in the cafe and sat around playing cards. I got lost again. I seem to have a habit of that. I went looking for the toilet in the dark took a wrong turn and an hour later made it back to reception where Marty and David had just started looking fr me.

The next day we were up early to see Pompeii. Walking into town was dangerous as there was no footpath and the cars weren't exactly slow. We jumped on the train and bought our tickets for Pompeii. Then we realised a problem we didn't have any water and there was no taps. Needless to say that wasn't a good idea. We wandered around sniping at each other but at the same time loving Pompeii. It was destroyed by the eruption of Vesuvius and preserved perfectly until the 19th century when it was discovered by accident. The coliseum was cool as was the house were they had bodies perfectly preserved by the lava. It was fascinating to see how they lived all the original murals etc rather than in Greece where all the original murals are in museums and there's just copies in the sites.We didn't find the brothel however. We eventually found a water tap at the end and were suddenly a lot nicer to each other.We headed back tired but so happy me and Marty had been looking forward to seeing Pompeii for months.

Pompeii