EuropeItalyRome

Rome

Rome Travel Blog

So me and two friends were off to Rome after a lot of confusion the plans kept changing. We were at David's house the night before as Martin was worried about one of us turning up at the wrong airport or something, oh well I got to play with his gorgeous golden retriever. Our plane was at 6:30am so we had to be at the airport for 4:30. It nearly killed us but we made it. A year after I got back from my first backpacking trip I was off again. We had no problems on the flight and got to Rome in time for our pickup. We had booked a cabin at a campsite just outside Rome. The room was absolutely tiny and hadn't been cleaned yet but that was soon sorted out. We went to the supermarket to buy some snacks and lay around trying to get used to the heat until dinner. We had ok food at the campsite restaraunt then collapsed at about 9:30.

The next day we had planned to go to the Vatican but the queue was just insane so we headed off to see the Coliseum etc. Martin and David had been to Rome before but I hadn't. We went to St Peter's square first. What little of it we could see through the masses of tourists looked very pretty. We headed over to Castle San Angelo but unfortunately all museums are closed on Mondays. We did however get a very good map and then attempted to find the Roman Forum. After getting lost many times we found it. It was amazing. I love Roman history and to see all the temples and the forum which was the center of the Roman Empire was amazing. We explored and then I sat under Hadrian's Arch and they went off to look around more. There was a group of people from Northern Ireland which surprised me. I also enjoyed the Jewish history that was on the Arch. It was built to commemerate the victory over the Jews. They came back and we headed for the Pantheon. It looked so beautiful. It surprised me that it was used as a Christian church but it was still called the Pantheon from the Roman times. But it was amazing to see it. The fountain of the 4 rivers outside was cool for a Dan Brown freak like me and I couldn't wait to go see Castel San Angelo the next day. We then went to the Coliseum. Again I'm a real history freak so I was excited to see the coliseum. It looked amazing and seeing the animal pits was cool. The museum was also very good with lots of information and cool pots etc. We ate just beside the coliseum and got the metro the train station to get a ticket to Naples in 3 days. Martin booked one for an insane time in the morning and we met a nice man from America who we helped find a hostel. Marty may just change his opinion of them. We headed back and collapsed in the hotel room after buying stupid straw hats for the guys and drinks.

The next day we were up early to go to the Vatican. However when we got there the queue was already huge so we went off to see Castle San Angelo one time refuge of the Popes and if you believe Dan Brown home of the Illuminati. It looked very impressive on the outside but it wasn't very impressive on the inside. Mostly just gift shops. We got some cool photos of the outside and the bridge and went to get ice cream in the really nice shop next to it. I love Italian ice-cream. Next stop was Saint Peter's Basillica. It was amzing so beautiful and well decorated. All of the statues of the Popes were very interesting but my camera batteries ran out in the middle of it. We left and got batteries and posted postcards home with Vatican stamps. We then headed around to the museums. They were fantastic. The Egyptian section was amazing for me and Martin and the rest of the Art etc was beautiful but the highlight was the Sistine Chapel. Despite the masses of people inside it was so beautiful. We took a sneaky photo then the Swiss Guard started asking people to not take photos so we didn't. We had very nice spaghetti in the cafe in the Vatican. We had no idea what was on it but it was nice. Then we went back to the campsite but on the bus Marty got pickpocketed. He had his wallet in his pocket and this American guy told him to check his pocket. Turned out he had seen it and tried to stop the man. He didn't get too much so it wasn't really a problem. We got some cold sprite and went back to the cabin.

The next day I couldn't actually put my feet on the floor they hurt so much. We alked nearly the length of Rome the first day and the second day we were walking around the Vatican so I hung around the campsite while the guys went off. I went out to the supermarket and got locked out of the cabin. You had to turn the key twice but I didn't know that. I went down to reception and felt so embarressed when the guy solved it so easily. I had pizza in the restaraunt then we were in bed early because we had to be up the next day to get the train to Naples

1,432 km (890 miles) traveled