Vinales Travel Blog

Vinales, Cuba

On our third day it was time to visit the nature of Cuba, in the agriculural west. We left Havana to go west to visit Las Terazzes, and later to come to Vinales for 2 days. The nature is green and the sites are very impressive. Also because the Cuban farmers do almost everything by hand, petrol is scarce. It also means the nature is almost untouched. Viñales is a small town and municipality in the Pinar del Rio province of Cuba. The town consists mostly of one story wooden houses with porches. The town was established in 1878 as a typical community, with church, school, hospital and recreation park. We stayed in a small but great hotel with relaxing swimming pool (ideal after a long walk in the nature) a few miles from the village.

Vinales, Cuba

For the first time during my holidays in all those years, on the way to Vinales, I was a bit sick. To much things done in too little time. So I visited Las Terazzes and a Sigar factory on the third day with the travelling group, being quiet and on the automatic pilot! It almost never happenned to me, being not well, but this time my stomage was protesting. But I was lucky, after arriving in Vinales and almost not eating, allready the next day I was all well and ready for a long walk in the Vinales nature. Viñales is an agricultural area, where crops of fruit, vegetables, coffee and especially tobacco are grown with traditional methods. Tourism centered on the Vinales Valley is developing, the area being protected by constitution since 1976, and declared a national monument in 1978. The Viñales Valley has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage List,  for the outstanding karst landscape and traditional agriculture as well as the architecture.

Take a walk in this area! The views are overwhelming. For me, also originally from a little agricultural Dutch village, this visit was great. And in the afternoon, when it was hot, we were in the swimming pool ordering fresh fruit drinks and relaxing.

tvillingmarit says:
Brings back good memories to me Vinales is great
Posted on: Jan 12, 2009