Bratislava Travel Blog

Christmas in Bratislava! WOW!!

I was browsing the internet one day, deciding where to go for a change! I realised that I had never been to Eastern or central Europe and so checked out the 'Budget' airlines, as you do, to see what was available. After a lot of 'umming' and 'arhhing', I decided to take a trip to Bratislava, Slovakia for 3 days ( but ended up staying for 6 weeks!!) Log onto for more local information:

I fell in love with the city and the people... it had a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about it as well as the fact that it was not yet quite the tourist trap and place to be seen in. But now that is all changing with entry into the E.U. and spending of the euro currency from 01/01/2009. The city itself is gearing up for the tourists as of 2/3 years ago and is very tourist friendly. It is quite popular at the moment with 'Stag' Nights due to the cheap beer and relaxed laws on Strip clubs etc etc... Aside from that it is also very enjoyable for arcitecture, mountains, castles and been able to blend history with modern day living! So pretty much everything and something for everybody. During my 6 weeks, I was able to meet lots of new people and some have remained in touch and become friends. I was able to get a job as an English teacher, but that didn't  work out with the company in question, and I ran out of that necessary evil called money. So I have returned to the U.K. Only to realise that I do not like the U.K. Why? Well, I just feel like a fish out of water here, My home country! weird? I don't know!

Then, a few days ago, I received an email offering me a full time job as an English teacher in a school ( from a previous application). I have jumped at the chance TO LEAVE THE U.K. again and so am returning to Slovakia on 05/11/2007 to take up the job, and residency and to continue exploring everything that Central and Eastern Europe has to offer. I have yet to get around all the great attractions that Slovakia has to offer, like the River Danube and High Tatra Mountains... Most of my first 6 weeks was searching for work and accomodation and a little security base to continue on with my dream of traveling the world. The people  I met were amazingly helpful and friendly and so that is definately something for them to be proud of as a person and a communtiy and a country, well done you guys!

Traveling allows you to be completely FREE from the 'hum drum' of modern day life and I have decided to continue on my dream for as long as I have breath in my body! About 90% of worries and apprehensions that you can have about been in unknown countries never materialise, because you always meet people along the way to help you out, as if they have been put there on purpose, It's Amazing! At least that is what I have found as I have travelled around! ( someone is watchin' over me)!

Some people say I should write a book or journal about my travels, as I have experienced lows as well as highs in my travels so far... from sleeping in my car for 3 months in Barcelona, Spain  until it was towed away for been illegaly parked ( rather than return to the U.K.) with no money or home or what seemed like no friends to falling in love with the city of Bratislava, Slovakia.

All things considered, I am enjoying every minute, of every day, of every week, of every month, of every year of my life now. Why? Because I am choosing to do exactly as I want too, not what I have to or am expected to do. It's GREAT!!

Watch this space!!

vodkaphix says:
Its defo the gene thing.... but i have the gay one too. hehehehehe!!!
Posted on: Sep 02, 2008
CFD says:
I agree , this is the time for traveling. There are so many countries that are trying to be more "western" and during that , they loose some of their charm.
Posted on: Nov 02, 2007
sarahelaine says:
I know what you mean about feeling weird in the UK. I put it down to moving house too much as a kid, but maybe there is just a travelling gene!
Posted on: Nov 02, 2007