The Museum honours Henryk Sienkiewicz
Oblęgorek Travel Blog› entry 13 of 15 › view all entries
September 15th, 2007 – by: scarlettwitch
The Museum is housed in a small, eclectic palace built in 1900-1902, which was designed by Hugo Kuder and presented to Henryk Sienkiewicz as a gift from the Polish nation.
On the ground floor is a mock-up of Henryk Sienkiewicz's living quarters, with a living room used for receiving guests, dining room, smoking lounge and bedroom. The furnished interiors also contain a gallery of portraits of the writer and his family, a collection of hunting weapons and trophies, paintings based on Sienkiewicz's novels, gilded portraits of all the Polish kings, a number of bronze sculptures and photographs of the novelist. Also of interest is a cannonball dating back to the war with Sweden, presented to Sienkiewicz by the Pauline monks from the Jasna Gora monastery.
The first floor, which used to house children rooms, is occupied by an exhibition devoted to Henryk Sienkiewicz's life and literary achievements. On display are his personal effects, such as mementos, diplomas, addresses and medals. The Museum has also an extensive library, including manuscripts and various editions of the writer's works, including translations, monographs and books that once belonged to him.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!